cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity Check Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have a scenario and like to see if SAP has provided the solution for it.

I have one and only one storage type 001 with 2 storage bins 01-01-01 and 01-01-02. Both bins can hold 10 capacity and they are currently empty.

I have one material M001 which cost 1 capacity.

Now I do a goods receipt with 11 units of M001. I've noticed that the system tell me that no destination bin can be found in storage type 001, and I need to separate the 11 items to 10 units and 1 unit until I can continue.

Is there any method for separate the quantity automatically?

Thanks,

Steven

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use the 'next empty bin putaway' strategy for the storage type, so when the first bin is filled with max capacity (10units), the system will search for the next empty bin and put the remaining stock in that bin when you perform the GR.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vijay,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using next empty bin strategy. However, when I MIGO 11 units at once, the system prompts error and tell me that destination storage bin cannot be found in the storage type. Once I manually separate 11 units into 10 and 1, the bins can be found. What should I do to automatic the process?

Thanks,

Steven

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

what does you palletization data say? How many pieces on one SU type?

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Juergen,

I didn't start the SUT check, I use capacity check 4, that is capacity usage by material.

Thanks,

Steven

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

don't mean that you do an SUT check. But you have palettization data in you material WM view,don't you?

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally capacity check is not required in next empty bin strategy as the system proposes the next empty bin  according to the index  of empty bins for put away.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Juergen,

Palletization data makes Next Empty Bin Strategy works, but palletization seems has limiation since I must define the pallet clearly and the quantity can not be determined freely.

Say 1 bin with 10 capacity. Material A uses 1 capacity and Material B uses 2 capacity.

Below list all combination possible:

A Qty          B Qty

10               0

9                 0

8                 1

7                 1

6                 2

5                 2

4                 3

3                 3

2                 4

1                 4

0                 5

If palletization data is a must for separating the quantity, it means I must define 10 palletization data for material A and 5 palletization data for material B, which seems not possible in SAP. I have tried only defining 1 PC in palletization data, but it provides me a list of 10 lines of material A when I do a GR for 10 material A.

Is there a better way to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Steven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vijay,

But how can SAP determines a bin is full if I often procure a large quantity of the material which cannot be stored in one bin?

Thanks,

Steven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to use 'active capacity check' check box in the define storage type step,

Please refer below thread for details,

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3154864

Regards

Vijay

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did not mean that you have to maintain the Pal. data as per your example. As you found out, this is not possible anyway. I wanted you to check your palettization data as I expected them simply to have information which contradicts what you want to do, but just checked and I was also wrong in that, it does not even have to be.

What you want to achive the system never does. The system uses the capacity check to see if the material fits into the bin or not.But this is with the quantity it tries to put away. The system does not with a capacity check like max weight or capacity calculate how many bins it needs.

Through the palettization data you simply say how much is on one pallet. The system tries to find a place for this pallet. If no place is big enough, you have no place. If you do not have palettization data, the system tries to create one warehouse order task for the full quantity. And tries to find a bin where it all fits in. Nothing else.

Hope that helps.

best regards

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Juergen,

Yes, that's what I think SAP is doing, too. It's okay that SAP does not provide the function, but may I know, how SAP expects users to handle similiar scenario?

Say for first time procurement, we will always buy a large quantity and will occupy multiple bins. Does SAP expect user to separate the quantity manually? Or I should handle them in another way?

Thanks,

Steven

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Seven,

" Does SAP expect user to separate the quantity manually?"

Well, I don't want to speculate what SAP expects - my boss might not like this ;-).

But what does happen in the real world? You purchase a new product. The palletization data in the material master is there to show how the product will be delivered, so that should be fitting in your bins. If you don't know how it is delivered (or have not given your supplier the information), someone has to look at the stuff when it is unloaded and enter in the system how it is palleticed (that is what you did with your "separating"). Or, in case these pallets are bigger then you can store in the warehouse, break them up and pack new in the size you can store. And then enter this in the system.

Of course it would be a nice feature if the system could find "best fit" bins to use a little space as possible - but that means you then have to pack like this. That is usually not what you want. The material is packed in a certain way and you want it to store it like it is.

Brgds

Juergen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thanks for the replies. I now get more understanding on how SAP works and how to operate in the real world.

Thanks,

Steven