cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Client Copy taking a long time can anybody explain why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

My Project manager wants an explanation on why local client copy takes so long time about 06 days and is still its running.

I have told them that SAP recommends doing a database copy which I can probably finish in about 24 hrs. Some of my friends told me that other companies do client copy in 2-3 hours. Please let me know how long does it take you to run a client copy and also if you have any other suggestions or prerequisites before client copy.

Please help me and provide me Expert solution for the same. ASAP

Thanks

SAP Expert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Dear Customer,

Kindly note that client copy speed highly depends on the database, the fragmentation of the

table, the size of the table, the size of the rollback segment and some hardware parameters.The rollback segment has to hold the data of a table and all indices during a copy.

In the source client data should not be changed until the client copy has finished successfully/completely. Otherwise it is not possible to make a client copy with consistent data in the target client. You can copy the data of this table from the source client to the target client with R3trans or with a normal transport request. But the data might be inconsistent then in the target client.

Parallel processes would speed up the overall deletion process, but not the deletion of a single table. About 500MB/h is a common rate for the deletion of tables. More information about parallel processes you can find in the notes 541311 and 208919.

The time needed for a client copy depends on several factors, and it's not possible to estimate it without knowing everything about your system. Usually, the database interface limits the throughput to 100 - 500 MB/hour. From this, a runtime of 1 - 2 hours results for Customizing client and a correspondingly longer runtime (up to several weeks) for productive clients.

First of all, you need to decide the size of the data that is going to be copied in client copy.The amount of data will decide the time duration of client copy..
Please refer to following notes for the same ,

118823 - CC-ADMIN: Size of a client
    67205 - CC-INFO: Copying large and productive clients

Even after deciding the data size the time duration of client copy can differ from system to system .You can decide the same if you have done any copy in the past OR as a general rule you can refer to following note. If the time taken by export is more than what note suggest you need to check the performance of the system.

Another usual reason for changed speed might be the access to the transport directory or to the database. If the same transport directory is used by export and import system at least one must have only a remote connection (e.g. NFS). Then the LAN speed can be important but
also the speed of the disks (remote and local case). The change to raid 5 might be important for this.
If also the datafiles of the database are now on raid 5 then also the speed of the database might be affected.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek

sapna_jgurudutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

With regard to the issue regarding local client copy is taking a long time and its still running, please check whether the following explanation helps you:

"Please be informed that for client copy performance, please try to review this note for details:

489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients

Please you can also exclude big tables from the client copy and export/import them separately after the client copy as explained in following note:
70290 - CC-INFO: Excluding tables with 'RSCCEXPT'

The client size will play a role during copy process. When the client size is too large, please you can try to follow some processes:
1. To check the size of the client. (details are in note 118823)
2. Detemine very large tables in the system(DB02).
3. Exclude these tables from client copy and transport these contents seperately via  transport request. (Note - 70290)
4. Use parallel process for client copy.  (Note - 541311)
These will help you to perform the copy effectively."

Thanks & Regards,

Sapna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What are u copying in your client copy (which profile) ?

Regards

Ganesh Datt Tiwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am doing Local Client copy in IDES System after creating new client source client is 800

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

800 client in IDES conains dumy data.

Below are the profiles. Now it depends that what profile you have selected like SAP_ALL or SAP_APPL that takes time how many parallel processes you selected. 

SAP_ALL    All Client-Specific Data w/o Change Documents

SAP_APPL   Customizing and Application Data w/o Change Docs

SAP_APPX   SAP_APPL w/o Authorization Profiles and Roles

SAP_CUST   Customizing

SAP_CUSV   Customizing and User Variants

SAP_CUSX   Customizing w/o Authorization Profiles and Roles

SAP_PROF   Only Authorization Profiles and Roles

SAP_UCSV   Customizing, User Master Records and User Variant

SAP_UCUS   Customizing and User Master Records

SAP_UONL   User Without Authorization Profiles and Roles

SAP_USER   User Master Records and Authorization Profiles

Regards