cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on SQL Server SQL statement analysis - Table Analysis

Former Member
0 Kudos

In dbacockpit, under Performance -> SQL statements when we select a statement and select table detail based on that statement, we will see the table in question. On the indexes tab, we see a number of columns.

Can any one please tell me what does Row Modification counter(Row modctr) mean.   Is this the number of rows modified since the last statistics run.   If we see a huge number here and assuming the statistics have not run yet, should we anticipate performance issues while doing an clustered index scan based on this index.  The SQL query in question is a BW query report and the index is a clustered BW index on a fact table. Can any one throw some light here please.  It runs longer at times and the only denominator that i could draw is the row modification counter being high. When its lower, the runtimes are also on the lower side.

The Row Modification counter seem to be taking three values

1) Either a large number (1 - infinite based on table size,rows etc)

2) 0

3) 1-

Can any one advise what do "zero" and "1-" mean here. I tried looking through standard help but did not get anything out.

Also, if we have auto statistics on, sometimes the statistics of this index i referred to above are not getting updated.  What do auto statistics bases the run on. Can I control the behavior for a particular index if i have to. Basically, rest of the indexes are being built, when data is getting loaded however this one index is missing out. The interesting thing here is its missing on sometimes only and when it does, the query runs longer causing us problems.

Our landscape

SAP EHP 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SP8

SQL Server 2008 R2 Release 10.50.1804

Windows Server 2008 R2

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

leslie_moser
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Kalyan,

You can read exactly what rowmodctr is in the MSDN documentation

For SAP BW, we often have differnent indexing recommendations than other OLTP style applications like SAP ECC or SAP CRM. A Microsoft colleague is responsbile for the SAP BW on SQL Server code and he posts blogs entries to the MS team blog Running SAP on SQL Server. You should subscribe to that blog in order to get the latest SAP BW on SQL Server information.

Recently that same colleague posted a detailed blog on how update statistics works in SAP BW. The improvements he refers to in that blog are part of SAP NW 7.01 EHP1 SP12 and you are on SP08. You can read more about what is in SAP NW 7.0 EHP1 SP12 for SAP BW on SQL Server at his other blog entry.

Best regards,

Leslie

Netweaver Development Tools
SAP Labs, LLC

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Leslie for the pointers. Really Helpful

Answers (0)