cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems updating PI components to latest Patch using SUM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We're trying to set up PI 7.31 as a fresh install. The installation went well. As a pre-requisite before executing the Config Wizard, we need to update certain components (sapnote 1548120). I have now downloaded said components manually from SMP and put them in a folder on the server. I executed SUM and chose the "Manually Prepared Directory" and I get the following issue where I cannot select the components to update. The "Manually Prepared Download Directory Report"  gives the error in the picture attached.

The SAP Note mentioned on the rules for acceptance/rejection is pretty unclear as well. Does anyone has any hint on what we did wrong here?

Thanks,

Luqman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Lugman,

you have used a specific use case of Software Update Manager (SUM) where you manually selected and downloaded software files, placed them in a directory, and let SUM read the directory to choose the files. But this use case cannot be used to apply SPs (- neither EHPs or major release switches are supported).

Instead, you have to use the Maintenance Optimizer (MOpz) as part of the SAP Solution Manager to plan an maintenance transaction. This will create a stack.xml file that you will submit to the SUM. SUM will read that file and know which files to expect.

Hope that helps!

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Boris for clarifying this. What use case will manual selection of downloaded files be allowed then?

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Lugman,

it is basically used for patching single java components, as described in SAP Note 1641062  - which you read, but it is not easy to understand at first glance...

Installation, update to higher release or SP level: this is only possible for SCAs that are not part of a usage type (SAP NetWeaver or SAP Business Suite usage type).

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I get what you are saying now. I agree with the assessment on note 1641062...it was not easy to understand after glancing at it 5 times!

Thanks for the clarification!

SK-EA
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Boris,

We experienced the same and realized the facts lately regarding the manual preparation use case.

Answers (0)