cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPINST fails on phase Start instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to ask you for a help with finishing installation of Solution manager 7.1 SR1 with Oracle 11g on linux x86 64

I am facing problem when sapinst starts instance I got error

An error occurred while processing option SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SR1 > SAP Systems > Oracle > Central System > Central System( Last error reported by the step: Instance PSM/DVEBMGS00 reached state SHUTDOWN after having state STARTING. Giving up.). You can now:

Choose Retry to repeat the current step.

Choose Log Files to get more information about the error.

Stop the option and continue with it later.

Log files are written to /tmp/sapinst_instdir/SOLMAN71SR1/SYSTEM/ORA/CENTRAL/AS

I went through all topics but unfortunately I cannot find solution.

Thank you in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess you missed to set some OS settings according to the installation instructions:
*** WARNING: resource limit value for 'max open files' too low (8192 < 32800)

Unfortunately, dev_disp is non-telling, because it has a pretty good reason to stop:
*** DP_FATAL_ERROR => DpWPCheck: no more work processes
*** DISPATCHER EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN ***

Without any WPs a dispatcher is pretty useless.

So now we check dev_w0 for the reason why the WPs are dead:

M  calling db_connect ...
B  *** ERROR => Invalid profile parameter dbms/type (or environment variable dbms_type) = <undef>, cannot load DB library
[dbcon.c      5455]
The kernel does not know with what type of DB it has to work with but your sapinst has a pretty good clue about that:
Properties.add(Property(dbms_type, ORA))
and it has a corresponding environment as well:
dbms_type = ORA

Conclusion:
It might help to add the mentioned parameter to the profile, but nevertheless, such an error should not occur in a plain straight forward installation. Did you do anything manually before? Like creating or re-creating the sidadm User, so that the environment of that user got scratched?

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

In guide was value 8192 set as recommended for max open files.

I was as well focused on this message:

B  *** ERROR => Invalid profile parameter dbms/type (or environment variable dbms_type) =

but in sapinst_dev its listed as defined parameter.

However you have good guess with pre-created sidadm user when I received this server so might be problem with it that was not adjusted. I am not sure if in this part of installation environments variables for this user should be assigned already but I think yes. And they are no variables for SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible somehow via SAPINST perform again phase with create users? If I want to delete this user and let it create by sapinst. Or should I do uninstall and install again from beginning?

Former Member
0 Kudos

During the installation, SAPinst checks all required accounts (users, groups) and services on the local machine. SAPinst checks whether the required users and groups already exist. If not, it creates new users and groups as necessary. Therefore you can delete users and SAPinst creates them for you.

Regards,

Roman

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem was solved by uninstallation, removing pre-created sidadm manually and installed again with keeping default passwords for everything. Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

More log files attached