cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing Characteristic Values within Super BOM

former_member986460
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Today, when an order is entered and the Finish Good is configured, we use Procedures within the BOM to transfer characteristic values from the Finish Good level to the SEMI and RAW materials within the BOM.

Is there a way I can do this automatically?

For example, finished good ALPHA-FG has the characteristics Char_Length, Char_Width, and Char_Depth.

RAW Material ALPHA-RAW-1 requires the characteristics Char_Length and Char_Depth.

How do I populate ALPHA-RAW-1 characteristics values automatically instead of putting pass procedures in every BOM which uses ALPHA-RAW-1?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cory Layman,

I didnt understand your issue completely.

Today, when an order is entered and the Finish Good is configured, we use Procedures within the BOM to transfer characteristic values from the Finish Good level to the SEMI and RAW materials within the BOM.

Procedure are the type of dependency and as soon as you enter order information , this procedure is triggered and perform the function written beneath. isnt its happening at your end?

We need this setup if the values assigned at header level ( finished material) differ for each and every order , as in your case

For example, finished good ALPHA-FG has the characteristics Char_Length, Char_Width, and Char_Depth.

RAW Material ALPHA-RAW-1 requires the characteristics Char_Length and Char_Depth.

How do I populate ALPHA-RAW-1 characteristics values automatically instead of putting pass procedures in every BOM which uses ALPHA-RAW-1?

as the Char_Length and Char_Depth will be different for every order , how you will populate this values for raw material for this individual orders?

if you want to set up this value in to the classification view of Raw material you can do it , but with that this become a default values setup at material level.

Hope this explanation help you .

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member986460
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Ritesh Dube,

Procedure are the type of dependency and as soon as you enter order information , this procedure is triggered and perform the function written beneath. isnt its happening at your end?

We need this setup if the values assigned at header level ( finished material) differ for each and every order , as in your case

Yes, the procedures in the BOM are triggering as expected and moving the characteristic values from the header level to the lower level components. 

That process requires that the pass procedure to be connected to each and every lower-level component which uses a characteristic.  What I'd like to accomplish is moving that process out of the BOM and do something in the class 300 or characteristic that will move the characteristic value from the header to the lower level component automatically.

as the Char_Length and Char_Depth will be different for every order , how you will populate this values for raw material for this individual orders?

if you want to set up this value in to the classification view of Raw material you can do it , but with that this become a default values setup at material level.

Hope this explanation help you .

Thanks

Ritesh

At the time of order entry, the values for Char_Length and Char_Depth are defined for that order.  I have a configurable SEMI or RAW material structured to that SuperBOM.  That lower level component has the very same characteristics in it's class 300. 

What I want to happen is the values for Char_Length and Char_Depth at the header get passed to Char_Length and Char_Depth connected to the lower level component.  Currently, we are using an object dependency in the BOM to do that.  I would like for that transfer of information to happen automatically, behind the scenes, rather then making the person developing the BOM to spend time worrying about OD's.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cory Layman,

Thanks for detailed explanation of issue.

And it seems it can be done , by removing dependencies from BOM and attach them at configuration profile level.

I also want to know your classification structure, like as you are saying characterstic are same at header and lower level , so does the class is also same or class name is different at all this level.

I am typing below a example syntex , which you can use to draw a test in your sand box.

Create a new procedure , with syntex,

$PARENT.Char_Length = $SELF.Char_Length,

$PARENT.Char_Depth = $SELF.Char_Depth

make sure status is release and assign this to configuration profile of semifinished material where you want to populate this values from header.

Hope it will work for you.

Plesse mark replies helpfull , if you agree that it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member986460
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thank you so much!  That's definitely a step in the right direction.  Ultimately, we'd like to get away from pass procedures entirely, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I look at a class 200 in the BOM which uses the same characteristic as the header.  That class 200 works without pass procedures, so I'm left wondering why that works, but the class 300 does not.  What's different between them that allows the class 200 to go to the header and grab the characteristic value and the class 300 does not?

Answers (0)