cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone please guide on how to document a Blueprint for BPMon?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am going to configure BPMaon for the first time. we are on SOLMAN 7.1 SP06 with DB2 database and Windows 2008 R-2 server.

The client has identified 3 business processes for BPMon. They are .....

1. Plant Maintenance Notification -Order processing
  2. Procurement Cycle
  3. Sales Order Process

I am trying to develop the blue print for these processes. For this, I also visited the link

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3149836

but got more confused..!

Can anyone please guide me on this?

Thanking you in advance,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak

If your final goal is BPMon, in that case I recommend you to star with Process
Maintenance in Solution Directory since BPMon uses Business Process in the Solution.

In Solution Manager, there are 2 locations where you maintain Business Process.
One is Project side (Can be maintained via T-CD SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN, SOLAR01,SOLAR02).
Another one is Solution (Can be maintained via T-CD SOLMAN_DIRECTORY or can be launched from BPO Workcenter).

Basically Project is used for certain project activities like implementation, Upgrade.
Solution is used for operation.  Duirng the implementation, if you defined the business process
in the project directory, you can copy the business process from project to solution when it comes to operation.
And then you can build BPMon on top of the business process in Solution.

But if you have not maintained any process in the project side, and you want to start BPMon,
then I would recommend direct maintenance in  in Solution Side.

When you maintain the business process in the solution, you have several possibilities.
I just listed 2 cases.

1.Describe business process from scratch based on your company's process
  and define BPMon key figures

2.Import BPMon Template and add  some of the key figures
  (or refering to the template content, think of generic process and target key figure)

2nd option might be easy and faster. Especially it is good practice if you have not experienced BPMon before. After the 1st prototype using 2nd option, you may see more possibility and some further requirements.
(Who will use, how to use, what will be monitored by BPMon etc).

So doing kind of PoC with template content might be good starting point.

SAP provides template BPMon contains that contains very basic process flow and major
application monitoring key figures.

The process used in the template is very simple, but probably for the operation/monitoring purpose
too detailed process is not required. So even the simple process, it might be enough.

In the service market place, there is a configuration guide. So please check the following documents.

http://www.service.sap.com/bpm
=>Media Library
==>Technical Information

1.Setup Guide - Business Process Monitoring 7.1 SP5+

(new setup guide. This is just released for SP5+ release)

2.Setting up of BPMon via a SAP Template Solution   

(This describes how to work with template)

3.BPM Template Solution - ST-SER2010_1 and higher  

(template content)

=>Media Library
==>Customer Example
4.BPOps Key Figure Overview  (This provides complete list of monitoring content)

I also recommend you to check following blog. Under this page, there are 3 link that is related to
template. So you can also get some info here.
http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2009/07/23/functional-scope-of-...
•Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Procure to Pay  
•Best Practice: Business Process Monitoring for Order to Cash
•Business Process Monitoring - Template configuration available for download

Here is a high level steps to configure BPMon after SOLMAN7.1 SP5.

1.Activate BPMon infra in SOLMAN_SETUP
   In SOLMAN_SETUP, there is a tab called BPMon.

So by following the wizard, complete BPMon infra setup.

2.Maintain business process in the solution.

(BPO workcenter => maintain solution directory or T-CD SOLMAN_DIRECTORY)

3.Configure monitor in BPMon setup session
  (BPO workcenter =>BPMon setup)

4.Work with BPMon in BPO Alert Inbox.

PS. There is relevent function called business process analytics.

This does not require business process (just logical component in solution) and you can do business

process improvement activities by using this.  If you have interest, I recommend following contents.

1.Blog on Analytics (You can get brief idea from this blog)

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2012/06/26/new-business-process...

2.Teched Record session. (This years teched session. So you can get latest info here)

http://www.sapvirtualevents.com/teched/sessiondetails.aspx?sId=3351

3.Configuration Guide (You can get technical info from this configuration guide)

=>Media Library

==>Technical Information

Setup Guide - Business Process Analytics 7.1 SP5

Hope above description help your understanding.

Best Regards

Keiji Mishima

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Keiji,

Your feedback is really very much valuable.

Request you to allow me some time to work on it and by next week end, I will get back to you with the feedback , after following your instructions.

Thanks once again,

Best regards,

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Keiji,

I have studied my requirement based on guidelines provided by you and I understood a lot many things about BPMon and also about how to deliver the customer requirement.

Thank you very much and appreciate, if you kindly share your personal mail id, if possible...!

Thanks a lot for your valuable help!

With best regards,

Deepak

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak

Good to hear that !

Enjoy using the BPMon/BP Analytics.

I do not share my mail address. But as you already notica, I have community user ID and there is communication function in SDN.

So I hope it is ok.

Anyway, if there is some question, I recommend using SDN. Because there are many expert using this community.

Best Regards
Keiji

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Is this your first experience documenting a project in solman?

Try taking a look in the transactions:

(I suggest you to create a test project to get used with the transactions)

SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN : This is the project administration transaction, where you create projects and manage it's administration data.

SOLAR01: this is the Business blueprint phase transaction. Once you've created a project, you can access it here and start creating it's structure and documenting each scenario, process, steps...

In this transaction you can generate the blueprint document after build the project structure and populating it with some content.

SOLAR02: This is the configuration phase transaction, which is very similar to the previous one but in this transaction you won't change the project structure. You can only populate the configuration phase and set test cases,etc.

I think this would be a nice start .

In case you have any more specific doubts, just let us know.

kind regards,

Fabricius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fabricius,

This is not my first SOLMAN project, but first attempt of BPMon.

If the client is already in operations, will it be OK to start SOLAR01 & 02?

This is a part of operations activities wherein, we are also implementing other features like CHaRM, service desk, CPH, Solution Monitoring etc.

So, your help is highly appreciated in case of preparation of BBP in BPMon bcz., rest all BBP is ready..

Thanks and awaiting for your valuable feedback,

Deepak