Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use RFC and when to use Proxy

former_member184948
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I know what is RFC and what is proxy scenario , but i dont know when we prefer one over the other.

In other word, when we go for implementing RFC and when Proxy.What are the deciding factors?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dilip,

Proxy is highly recommended against RFC until unless if you go for Standard postings . Proxy is lighter than RFC and more traceble. It depends on your requirement whether are you going for any standard postings or custom functionality . If it is custom functionality then its recommended to use Proxy rather than RFC.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member184948
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Experts,

Closing a very old post.I wrote this question at that time because I was a beginner in PI at that time.Thanks for all help.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SEARCH IN SCN before posting repeated threads.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dilip,

A few cents to Roberto, i you have already an RFC constructed with a complex data structure, i think it's better to use the RFC and you save the development time to convert the RFC in a proxy.

Almost times the best way is to construct a proxy but sometimes the time nedeed to transform an RFC to a proxy can do to reconsider the option

Regards,

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dilip,

If you already have existing Function Module/BAPI in your SAP system, you can go for RFC communication. Also if your SAP WAS < 6.2 then Proxy will not be supported. Otherwise if you need to develop a Proxy or a BAPI/FM from scratch, its always better if you go with Proxy. Proxy communication has lot of flexibility and advantages over RFC performance wise.

robertot4s
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dilip,

My recommendation is to always use proxies instead of RFC (except for SAP R/3 <= 4.6C) because proxies are more reliable and they use all the advantadges of the Web Application Server (reliability, performance, connection management, etc.).

Regards,

Roberto