Did you mean: 

question about dependencies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Hi while making swc...in sld when we specify dependencies ,,,it gives various

options like build time ...installation time ...what does these options mean

build time of what installation of what

I generally do not fiddle with the default ...and end up adding ...sap basis components ..subordinate to my swc ...

Kindly let me know what is the right approach.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We need to set the following settings..

SAP J2EE ENGINE <Release> (SAP-JEE <Release>)

SAP BUILD TOOL <Release> (SAP_BUILDT <Release>)

SAP JAVA TECHNOLOGY SERVICES <Release> (SAP_JTECHS <Release>)

You can define dependencies between software component versions in the following contexts:

&#9679; InstallationTime

The context of an installation process (first installation or an upgrade to a newer version). The requirements of this context list the external resources that are needed for the installation.

For example, software component C1 requires software components C3 and C4 to be installed. The installation and basic usage of C1 does not work without C3 and C4 being installed first. On the other hand, the installation of C1 does not require any other software component to be installed first, except the ones that are required implicitly through C3 and C4.

&#9679; BuildTime

The context of a build process, such as the compilation of sources and the packing of archives. The requirements of this context list the external resources that are needed for the build.

For example, software component C1 requires software components C2 and C3 to be built. The build of C1 does not work without C2 or C3 being built first. On the other hand, the build of C1 does not require any other software component, except the ones that are required implicitly through C2 and C3.

&#9679; MetaDataRequest

The context of a process which requires external meta data in an installed system. An example is the content of the XI repository which contains the definitions of services and interfaces. The XI content is used by the software components that implement the services and interfaces (in ABAP or Java).

for Reasons , Please see the below links..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/e1/2aa0753d12479cb6f21c38371299a7/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/43/e95ac0a0302d56e10000000a422035/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/29/17647d028113439108ce1161263b6e/frameset.htm

Regards

Chilla..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

use the usage dependencies when you want to use the Imported objects like RFC and IDOC or other objects of one Software Component in another Software Component...

First you need to do settings in the SLD to create usage dependencies in IR

Generally we use Dependency on Intsallation time.

-/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/08/26/xi-are-you-independentfrom-your-dependencies

for Build time is used when we are making dependency on Central Build. Or any Application components.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/a4/481955dc9e42c19d5a1bc3b8aead81/content.htm

Regards,

Ramesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

I have already scene the blog you mentioned and help link does not answer question i.e. when to use which i.e. build time ...installation time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Build time is probably used by SAP only (for now at least),

but I remember that you can only use "Installation time" because "build time" doesn't work today.

A case when you will installation time Usage Dependency is when you need some Common Java Function to be accessible across SWCV's in your Landscape.

One option would be to loda the .jar file in each and every SWCV. this will cause an issue as when you need to make changes you need to make changes in all SWCV's. Better solution would be to have a Generic SWCV and have the jar file in that SWCV .

All other SWCV's should have a Usage Dependency on the Main Generic jar file and so you can access its objects as and when needed in any namespace in any SWCV.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos