cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In which functional area is Java strong?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a java developer and would like to begin my studies of SAP.

I would like to know in which SAP functional area java is strong. I mean, I have heard that java is stronger in CRM and HR.

What do you think? Are there more modules in which java is largely used?

Actually, I would like to work in SD. Is that a strong area for Java development in SAP?

Thanks!

Marcos

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos,

Most of the SAP modules (SD, FI, MM, PM etc...) are based around the Netweaver ABAP platform - so from a functional prespective Java doesn't really feature all that much. Having said that Java is used widely in some products like Web Channel Experience Management the is Java based and the new Netweaver Cloud offering is all Java based:

You should also look at

Hope this helps,
Simon

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you need to know in which functional area Java is stronger than ABAP? I mean, when you treat a functional area, you'll have to know how the software works, how to achieve a specific result. You do not necessarily have to code it. That comes later.

If you want to learn SD, you'll need some time to understand the module, and if it is realized in ABAP, Java, perl, PHP, javascript or whatever, does not matter. If you want to focus on SD for enhancing the software, writing new features, then the used language is getting interesting.

And while SAP is saying they are not a  technology company and not selling technology, but business solutions to customers, SAP is a heavy tech company with a very, very strong focus on ABAP. To work with the core of SAP, knowing ABAP makes much more sense than Java.

If you want to go for the cool stuff, like mobility, HTML5, cloud, opening up SAP and make it easily consumable by non-SAP systems, Java is the choice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for answering, but I do not think you got my point. Actually the email was not clear enough.

I was trying to figure out a way into SAP world.

I work customizing a kind of SD software for our clients using java and was wondering if java would be the best gateway into SAP world. Maybe it would for a java developer, but than I would be not working basically in the SD world because usually the customizations for the SD module use ABAP, not Java. So for me to be closer the SD module I would need to learn ABAP or become a functional consultant in SD.

Best regards,
Marcos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos,

If you want to use java to enter in SAP world, the easy way is learn about SAP NetWeaver portal. In this point you can learn more other things to integrate SAP modules like as webdynpro, visual composer, and use SOA and another integration technology like PI, and so on..

If you learn ABAP, you not just be abble to customize SD module but all the SAP modules, but probably you will need a functional consultant to say what you need to do. To be closer to SD module and know how it works you need to be a SD functional.

Regards

Marcos Brandao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since you are java developer you must be aware of Object Oriented Programming (i.e,Concepts of classes, inheritance etc).

All these will be conceptually used in CRM. But again you need to have basic knowlegde of ABAP if you want to move ahead.

Regards,

HCL Sparks.