cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.3.1 Clarification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following clarification with respect to the new release of PI 7.3.1.

Just to update that we are currently in PI7.3.1 SP05.

We are looking at all options to upgrade to the latest release with the usual confusions of Single stack vs dual stack.

Please clarify the following.

1. Do we have three instalation options like Dual stack/ Single stack (Java only)/PO(Single stack with BRM) or only two installation options.

2. CCBPM is not supported in single stack. So do we need to redesign the interfaces. If so, is it possible to do in single stack installation or do we need to go with complete PO (Including BRM)

3. We have used ABAP proxies and XSLT mappings. Are these supported in single stack or PO installation option.

4. Is there an upgrade path from 7.1.1 (Dual Stack) to PO instllation option or single stack instllation option. Or is it going to be a migration?

5. If we choose only dual stack and start doing all CCBPM scenarios, in the future we will still be targeted to convert into single stack. as the support for dual stack is only upto 2020.

6.Has the PI7.3.1 JAVA based IDOC adapter has all the features as of ABAP Java idoc adapter.

7. For converting from dual stack to single stack or PO, do we need to redo all configuration objects.

Regards

Anandh.B

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anandha,

Let me try to answer your questions:

1. Do we have three instalation options like Dual stack/ Single stack (Java only)/PO(Single stack with BRM) or only two installation options.

Yes, as NetWeaver BPM requires a separate licensing, you have 3 options. Double stack PI, Java Only PI and PO (PI + BPM and BRM)

2. CCBPM is not supported in single stack. So do we need to redesign the interfaces. If so, is it possible to do in single stack installation or do we need to go with complete PO (Including BRM)

Right. If you want to build integration centric or even user centric processes, you need NetWeaver BPM. If you are currently using ccBPM, you have to redesign the processes and rebuild them in NetWeaver BPM.

3. We have used ABAP proxies and XSLT mappings. Are these supported in single stack or PO installation option.

Both should be OK for the single stack installation. The ABAP proxy runs in the backend. You can call it also from a single stack PI.

4. Is there an upgrade path from 7.1.1 (Dual Stack) to PO installation option or single stack installation option. Or is it going to be a migration?

The upgrade from 7.11 to 7.31 double stack is pretty straight forward. If you go to a single stack, you have to replace the ccBPM processes. There is no migration for this as far as I know. Of course you also need to replace any ABAP mappings and developments if there are any.

But for the configuration there should be a migration tool available to convert classic configuration objects into Integrated Configuration objects, that you need for a single stack installation.

5. If we choose only dual stack and start doing all CCBPM scenarios, in the future we will still be targeted to convert into single stack. as the support for dual stack is only upto 2020.

On a 7.31 dual stack the ccBPM processes should be OK.

6.Has the PI7.3.1 JAVA based IDOC adapter has all the features as of ABAP Java idoc adapter.

As far as I know it has a few limitations, that SAP is still working on. If I remember correctly it does not support packaging. But I'm not sure.

7. For converting from dual stack to single stack or PO, do we need to redo all configuration objects.

On a single stack you have different configuration objects which are called "Integrated Configuration". The classic configuration objects cannot be used on the single stack.

As said already there is a migration tool for this (That's what I've heard at the Teched last week)

Hope this help,

Jürgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks ,

Further to this, I have the following set of questions.

1. Other than BPM and ABAP mappings, there should be some other reason why Dual Stack might be supported or needed in an organization. Any particular advantages of having Dual Stack.

2. If i choose Dual Stack option, does it still come with Eclipse based IDE.

3. What other features will be used if i go for dual stack option for 7.3.1. or should i go with 7.30.

4. One of the blog mentioned that dual stack will have its own SLD, monitoring and UME. Does it mean java stack does not have these? Can someone explain the differences.

5. I assume dual stack will be straight upgrade and does not require any manual config change.

6. What features may or may not have in dual stack 7.3.1 compared to java stack.

Regards

Anandh.B

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Other than BPM and ABAP mappings, there should be some other reason why Dual Stack might be supported or needed in an organization. Any particular advantages of having Dual Stack.

--> If you go on 7.31, no other interest. Well of course having an Abap Stack can be precious if you want to store Xref tables for instances...

2. If i choose Dual Stack option, does it still come with Eclipse based IDE.

--> From what I have understood, yes, but I never used it, it was not that mature yet.

3. What other features will be used if i go for dual stack option for 7.3.1. or should i go with 7.30.

--> 7.30 is not as good as 7.31 for instance : Only staging, not logging, Message monitor does not display Intreface name, Eclipse is not that well supported, Idoc Adapter is not fully functional...

4. One of the blog mentioned that dual stack will have its own SLD, monitoring and UME. Does it mean java stack does not have these? Can someone explain the differences.

--> Not relevant I think, for monitoring, best choice is SolMan 7.1 if you go with PI 7.3+

5. I assume dual stack will be straight upgrade and does not require any manual config change.

--> You still have to change Communication Channels and that's it.

6. What features may or may not have in dual stack 7.3.1 compared to java stack.

--> Same things, you just have more possibilities going dual stack. Question is, do you need the Abap stack. I mean, if you go for 7.31, one of the most interesting thing is to go with java only scenarios in order to improve performance of your interfaces. So why would you take an Abap stack that you will not use ?

Regards,

Guislain.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anandh,

Guislain answered almost everything:)

Choosing Single stack or Dual stack always confusing,Single stack instalation option came recently(7.3 onwards) so some people have seconds thoughts about single stack instaltion option stability,but as per my understanding/experience single stack instaltion also stable.

SAP is investing on JAVA stack enhancements majorily so you could expect more features,if customer is going for new PI implementation then choosing single stack instaltion option always right idea .

If customer implementation on lower version and have very limited BPM scenarions ,cusromer decided to go for upgrade then choose Single stack.

I personally prefer using single stack instaltion option.

Regards,

Raj

nageshwar_reddy
Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe there are lot of customers who are using ccBPM. SAP will not be able to stop dual stack support immediately. Plus, dual stack is very stable and robust. I believe, it will take some time for single stack to mature to that level.

In my customer landscape, I have recommended and ensured that we moved to 7.31 instead of 7.3. I believe you should go with 7.31.

Java stack will also have its own SLD, monitoring and UME. I do not see any differences here.

You will not get PO(BPM, BRM) in dual stack 7.3.1. So, you will be forced to go with ccBPM.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Though Most of your questions has been answered here ..

I want to answer the additional feature where dual stack can offer is the usage of WSRM adapter..

where the single stack doesnot support this yet...so if any of your earlier landscape have scenarios using WSRM adatpers then you need to choose dual stack...

HTH

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks All,

Before I close the thread, I have few more final questions.

We are currently in SAP PI 7.11 SP05.

For dual stack option upgrade, do we need to first apply the latest SP for 7.11 and then upgrade it to 7.3.1 or is there a direct route.

I assume PI 7.3.1 comes along with Netweaver 7.3 rather than stand alone, should we need to upgrade any other systems for PI 7.3.1 to be effective like ECC or portal etc.,

Regards

Anandh.B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not sure that you need to apply any SP on your current PI. Don't think so, but unsure.

No, you don't need to upgrade other systems, it will be a direct feet. The only thing that may require any upgrades on all the elements of the landscape is moving to PI monitoring with SolMan 7.1. In that case, pay attention (ask you admins to do so) to the compatibility matrix.

However, I would not recommend an upgrade but to start with a fresh install and start moving all the scenarios that can be to the java stack. This will be much more efficient if you go double stack.

Regards,

Guislain.

nageshwar_reddy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anandha,

I see that you have already pretty solid answers for your questions. I am in the midst of implementing PO 7.31. Here are my thoughts on some of your questions

Single stack java installaiton does not support BPM. You need to go with PO 7.31. Redesign has to be done if you are moving BPM.

ABAP proxies and XSLT mappings are supported in single stack PO as well.

There is no upgrade path. You have to migrate your scenarios.

4. Is there an upgrade path from 7.1.1 (Dual Stack) to PO instllation option or single stack instllation option. Or is it going to be a migration?

I believe so. At some point you may be forced to move to BPM.

7.31 Java based IDoc adapter has improved considerably compared to 7.30 java based idoc adapter. The approach i am taking is that, even if there are some limitations we are better off finding solutions to those issues.

Yes. we need to. If you have been using model based configuration, it should be pretty fast.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anandha,

Just one more thing: There is also a mirgration tool to convert classic configuration objects into new "Integrated Configuration" objects.

http://scn.sap.com/community/process-orchestration/blog/2012/11/19/moving-integration-directory-arti...

Regards,

Jürgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with the other members on all the points.

But, for the 7th, I can answer with my experience (Several migrations from dual stack to signle stacks, both 7. ans 7.31) : Yes you will have to do from scratch all the configuration part. Because Sender / Receiver Agreements, Receiver / Interface Determination are meant to be used by the Integration Engine so you will have to use Integrated Configuration objetcs.

You will also have to create new Communication Channels because of the new versions provided in 7.31.

Honnestly, not so difficult or time consuming and far easier to understand than "oldschool" configuration objects. Especially if you have beginners in your team.

Regards,

Guislain.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes , correct.3 instalation options.

2. CCBPM is not supported in single stack. So do we need to redesign the interfaces. If so, is it possible to do in single stack installation or do we need to go with complete PO (Including BRM).

You need to redesign ccBPM interfaces from scratch and migration of ccBPM interface not possible.

You need Single JAVA Stack+BPM instalation model for this.

Single stack both instaltion options supports this.

My Answer is migration.

I think yes, better to check with SAP.

Yes,almost.

i  dont think so, but minor changes required.