cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP TRIAL how to change SID after install on virtual machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey folks,

I do have some questions concearning the SAP installation.

First, I am new to SAP and have never get in touch with any system like this. To get some knowledge about ABAP (I bough the Book DISCOVER ABAP) I wanted to install SAP on a virtual machine at my desktop. After some tries I did get one to finish without any errors.

But now, here's the issue: The installation information of SAP wasn't that good, so I was asked about the SID during the installation and because the field was empty. There where no names given in the start.htm which was part of the package I downloaded. So I types in S01. Then, a day later I wanted to active it and I even managed it to find the Licence information in the system.

So I got the licence key via email and now I am facing the error that the licence is for the system with the SID called NSP. But I do have S01.

How I do now get a key for the S01 SID or it is possible withouth any knowledge to change the SID from S01 to NSP? Do I have other options than changing the SID? I have not clue at all

Please help out to get me started with the SAP ABAP world

cheers

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Volker,

first of all I have to tell you that is not possible or at least no good idea to change the SID of an SAP system.

The SID has been set by SAPINST in User-Environment,
SAP profiles, several database tables, ... the SID is even part of the name of SAP administration and service users (<sid>adm, sapservice<sid>)

It would be the easies solution to register a new system at sap (with the correct SID) to receive a new license. If this is not possible, you should reinstall your system by doing a homogenous systemcopy.

Best regards

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

You can change the SID however if you to follow either of the following technique

Option 1 : Re-install SAP system ( if you don't care about exitig data and config ). Re-create all your users and file systems. Make sure you un-install the exiting one.

Option 2 : Perform a homogeneous system copy. ( In sort take an export using SAPINST and take backup of your database). Since you will use the same host, uninstall your existing SAP system and perform import part of homogeneous copy using SAPINST + restore your database.

Good luck

Regards,

Dipam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay guys, thank you very much for your answers. I will uninstall the SAP Installation, remove everything which is linked to SAP at the hard drive and then install it again.

I guess this is the better option, even if it takes little longer. A buggy system is not an option though

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Volker,

please mark the thread as answered if you don't have any further questions.

Regards,

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

The re-install helped

Answers (0)