cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attributes Vs Private Attributes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Can someone explain the difference between the Attributes vs Private Attributes of an Analytical View.

Please i have read the definition but wasn't clear with my self

Private Attributes

Private attributes used in an analytic view allow you to customize the behavior of an attribute for

only that view.

For example, if an analytic view or a calculation view include an attribute view, it inherits the behavior

of the attributes from the attribute view (set the parameter once and it is replicated in all views

consuming it).

By contrast, if you create an analytic view for one specific use case in which you want a particular

attribute to behave differently than it does in the attribute view to which it belongs, you can define it

as a private attribute. -This Part is confusing

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In an Analytic View, you can have three types of attributes:

• the ones from the fact tables you've joined in the "Data Foundation" (these are the "Private attributes", since they're particular to this AN);
  • the ones inherited from the attribute views that you've joined in the "Logical View" (these are shared with any other view that uses the same attribute view, and any change in the attribute view will be reflected in all views that use it);
  • Calculated attributes that you've calculated in the Analytic View itself.

Regarding your question, basically the difference is whether you've done the join in the Data Foundation (fact tables) or in the Logical View (attribute views).

Best regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique,

Thanks for that simple explaination , not sure why does the Development guide make it so hard ?

I am using SPS5 now, but I see only columns now instead of Attributes under Atrribute views or Private attributes?

So, would the our concept still remain valid? I could not find a place in poperties of columns where you could see Private ?

Appreciate your response!

Vittali

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vittali,

The concept remains same. Also "Private" is a conceptual term. It is similar to the scope of an attribute in JAVA / :NET class. As mentioned earlier, the properties of the "Private" columns or the columns belonging to the Analytic view are applicable ONLY to the Analytic view in which it is defined. Whereas the Columns in "Attribute View" are like "Global" as the change to the column in Attribute view will be applicable to the ALL the columns where ever the Attribute view is being used.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi!

Got it! I would have marked this thread as answered, if I had posted the initial question.

Regards, Vittali