Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS_C1_ST Storage category usage - alternate option

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

hi All,

I Just wanted to clarify if I can use DMS_C1_ST Storage category also for DMS External storage. I am aware that this is the default 'System Database' storage provided by SAP, but, if I enter the Transfr Dir / Physical Path - as DMS Server path, the files are getting stored in the DMS Server. We are still facing the issue of 'Content server' as posted in:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3264676

So, Please let me know if this can be provided as workaround solution for content storage in external server.

Note: We are selecting KPro for doc. type and we are on EHP5.

-Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i will suggest here that if u want to store the documents in external system then better to use VAULT configuration. please refer my DMS document for settings and all assignments.

Regards

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Shailendra,

Thanks for your inputs.

When I click F1 for DVA Computer field in DC20 for Vault, I see the below description:

Host name (logical name) for vault computer that data is transferred to using

DVA (Direct Vault Access) and not via an application server.

What difference does it make if the data is transferred to the DMS Server path Via Application server or DVA?. The documents when created, are getting stored in the path maintained in 'Vault Path' regardless I give the DVA Computer field information.

I refered to below link for the information provided by you on Vault:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31027

You mentioned - And via this practice it is very easy to retreive all those documents which is very complicated if you are using KPRO or some other methods.

Even if you use KPro, you are able to retrieve the documents using CV04N. So, what advantage does Vault have over KPro. It's a bit confusing to me. I do see the 'Contents table: 'DMS_CONT1_CD1' IF we want to Use DMS_C1_ST, Storage type SAP System Database. When I goto - SE16N and execute for table 'DMS_CONT1_CD1', I see hexadecimal values for 'Physical Document' and 'Data Block' and the 'Counter Key'. But there seem to be no relation on to which Document the Data block or Counter key refers to.

Any thoughts? Please suggest.

-Thanks,

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Shailendra,

In order to use Vault as content storage, I will have to de-select the 'Use KPro' at Doc. type level, which in-turn will restrict the user to upload only 2files per DIR..So, I don't think we can go with VAULT option.

Other than that, do you see any negative impact if I go ahead use DMS_C1_ST for external storage?. Please let me know your valuable opinion.

-Thanks

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why don't you define your own storage category, in case you have separate content server?

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Amaresh,

Do you mean just create a ZDMS_C1_ST with the DMS Server path?. I have done that, and the file opens in the defined DMS server path. The contents are still stored in table DMS_CONT_CD1 in hexadecimal format.

My only concern is with using 'Storage Type - 03 SAP System Database' and if it ends up using SAP DB. We are running out of time to fix the issue we had with Storage type - 04 HTTP Content server. So, I guess I can go with this option assuming it only will use the DMS server for storage. PFA screenshot & share your thoughts.

-thanks

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Amaresh/All,

Any advise on the above thread? (sdn sap Dec 10, 2012 8:27 AM)?.

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

sdn sap wrote:

The contents are still stored in table DMS_CONT_CD1 in hexadecimal format.

Because you are using 'Storage Type - 03 SAP System Database' . You'll end up in saving files in SAP DB.

If you have installed an external content server, you should have not used this storage type. You should have used other storage types like HTTP.

Read more on DMS and continue.

Good luck. Make relevant changes to your storage category, other related areas and come back.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Amaresh,

thanks a lot for your suggestion. As the file content is storing in Hexadecimal format, will this still have an impact on DB Storage space?. By the way the Original file get saved in the Transfer Dirctry & Data carrier Path for (PC) when the User opens the file using CV02N/CV03N.

As the file is in hexadecimal format - I am under assumption that it won't occupy lots of space as a normal file would do. Please advise.

-Regards

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Amaresh,

We have installed Content Server on Win2003 and other settings (IIS, MaxDB) have been done. The process is working fine.

Are there any clients using the Win 2003 Server &  Microsoft still support Win 2003 if there are any issues going forward?. Is it advisable to use this, as our Basis team felt there might be issues if we go with MaxDB Upgrade - MaxDB 7.6 to 7.8. We had the HTTP Content server connection issue when we tried using Content server on Win 2008R2, MaxDB 7.6 & SAP had suggested to do the MaxDB upgrade.

Please advise.

-Thanks

Answers (0)