cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to know if SAP WAS server is ABAP, Java or integrated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Noob SAP developer learning about SAP Web Application Servers.  Using transaction SM51, I get a list of servers in my system (there is only one).  It has the following information:

Server Name Host Name Message Types (Having value Dialog Batch Update Upd2 Spool Enqueue ICM VMC) Server Status (Active)

Then if I double click on this a list of processes of various types (DIA, UPD, ENQ, BGD, SPO, UP2)

My question is for this server, is there a way to know if this application server is of type ABAP, Java or integrated?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jeffrey,

Another way of determining is that, the types of application you are using.

For example:

If you are using Development Infrastructure(DI) then AS JAVA, similarly

EP: AS JAVA

EP Core: AS JAVA

MI: AS JAVA + AS ABAP

PI: AS JAVA + AS ABAP

ECC: AS ABAP

Regards,

Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

Thanks for the great answer!  I do have a follow up.  Does it mean for ECC programming in Java is not possible?

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jeffrey,

ECC is pure based on AS ABAP. All the functioanlity/logics/programs are written in ABAP language.

Regards,

Rajkumar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jeffrey ,

Hope you are doing good.

As mahesh mentioned, you would also see j2ee in the /nSM51 list.

Another option is to check teh file system by navigating to /nAl11. If you find the folder j2ee in

/usr/sap/<sid>/DVEBMGS <NR>../* , then you can be certain that the java usage type is installed.

Thank you and have a nice day :).

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are using the backend (dealing with transactions such as SM51) you know it is AS ABAP, either ABAP or ABAP+JAVA meaning a dual-stack instance. If you are using AS JAVA your User Interface is probably browser based and you would be using SAP NetWeaver Administrator to operate the instance.

As mentioned SM51 is a good way to check whether you are dealing with a ABAP or ABAP+JAVA instance. The "J2EE" column will appear in a different color if the java instance isn't running or if it is being shutdown, started, etc.

At least SAPINST uses the instance profile parameters rdisp/j2ee_start and rdisp/j2ee_start_control to determine whether it is dealing with a dual-stack system. I guess that's another way. In transaction SMICM choose Goto -> Parameters -> Display to display the parameters and their values.

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If java server is integrated you will see j2ee like below

Dialog Batch Update Upd2 Spool Enqueue ICM J2EE