cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Project Code / WBS Elements

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to understand the impact it makes in changing existing project master/transaction data. For exapmle, if a project is currently is in used where commitments and actuals are been posted, what would be impact in chaning the wbs code (from AA/11/001.01 to BB/12/001.01)?

Regards,

Sai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member203108
Active Contributor

There is no impact in changing the WBSE codes, As said by Virendra WBS Element is just for external purpose, all the transactions will use object number only.

Once you change the WBSE codes, all your previous transactions will have your new WBS Code.

I have recently done a mass code change to 200 projects with around 2000+ WBS Elements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

The direct and visible impact would be the inconsistency in postings. If you have already posted actuals it wont be possible to change the WBS codes. However, as far as commitments are concerned i dont think there will be any negative impact as such, provided you handle the situation properly. The only thing that will happen is commitments will be shown against the changed WBS element.

The best thing to do here would be to try out a test case and check the impacts for yourself. That would give you some more insights into the queries you have raised.

Regards,

Gokul

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure about this - The name is only a label - the data is stored against the object number which will still remain the same