Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Trip number range concept

Hi All,

Please explain me the concept of trip number ranges that would be beneficial in production environment. I have few doubts:

1. Are trip number ranges based on yearly basis i.e. is it possible to change the trip number range on year basis.

2. What is main logic to keep in mind for trip number ranges for a production environment.

3. We have 40 personnel areas..so we are planning to keep different number ranges for each Personnel Areas. Is it the right approach?

Please advise

Regards

Tags:
replied

Some really useful replies there Andy and just to re-iterate the advice given as there is a real danger that if you incurred a scenario whereby number ranges overlap that different accounting objects and trips could result in duplication.

For example

Personnel area "A001": if the users create the first travel, the number
will be 001000000.
Personnel area "A002": if the users create the first travel, the number
will be 001000000.

In the scenario above, you have to define a range so that each area is not overlapping as not only will you most likely get the error: "Number assignment: Last number has been assigned" at some point - but also it could result in inconsistency so you need to absolutely ensure they are not overlapping when you define a new number range and ensure to finish and close

There's a KBA about closing and ending number ranges (1581701) and also sligthly off topic but keep in mind buffering for the number ranges as per note 62077 as the numbers are not continuous anyway if buffering is activated (which is recommended) 

hope it helps

Sally

2 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question