Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPS Calculation

issac_khan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am currently doing sizing for some new systems we will be implementing.  Unfortunately I have no idea what the the possible SAPS would be if we create this environment in VMWare.  I have gone through the vendor SAPS numbers but that did not have SAPS numbers for our specific environment.  I was wondering if there is a way I can calculate SAPS on my own in our existing VMWare SAP servers so I can get an estimate of the SAPS I should expect to get out of these.  I have searched around and I cannot find any tool or calculation to determine SAPS.  Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Issac Khan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
issac_khan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you guys but I have seen all these documents.  I know how to use the quick sizing tool but I need to determine how many SAPS my current VMWare environment can push so I can relate that back to the required SAPS from my sizing.  The 2 & 3 tier example results that SAP has are primarily for Physical disks so I would like to know how to calculate SAPS on my own.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guess something was lost in the translation...

No, there is no simple benchmark tool that you can run on your existing hardware.

See VMware's own benchmarking documents in order to figure out the overhead of VMware. I remember that it was approximately 10-15% for vSphere 4 and approximately 5-10% for vSphere 5. You have also some example VMware configurations in the mentioned benchmark results.

Really the only way is to ask the hardware vendor to provide the SAPS rating for the physical hardware and then take out of that the cost for running VMware.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As said there isn't an easy way to determine your SAPS value. My recommendation is to setup your vm's with the possibility to scale if you need more capacity than expected.

The whole Quicksizer / SAPS estimations are not very accurate anyway, so better try to build your environment in a flexible way. That is the main advantage of having vm's in my opinion.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have to use SAP's Quick Sizer tool to calculate SAPS for your environment.

http://service.sap.com/quicksizer