cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whitelist Configuration for different PC configurations

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a scenario where there are different versions of Adobe Reader installed on different machines. e.g. user A has Reader 10, while user B has Adobe 11 and so on. All these users need to be able to open PDF files using the PLM Web UI. Now, since the whitelist seems to allow configuration of only one application path per Application per Whitelist, do we need to create multiple whitelists for the multiple PC configurations?

We have installed note 1753389 but it didn't help. Below is a screenshot of the whitelist configuration:

Thanks,

Shobhit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As for as I know, you can configure only one version and all users need install the same version of adobe reader.

Lets wait for other experts to respond.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when u r going to use multiple version system allow you and you may also able to open files as per the versions alos. like if ur Excle file having .xls and another file has .xlsx then system may allow you to open both the files. but condition it that during check in u may input correct one.

Regards

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for correcting me Shailendra.

What would be the solution for above mentioned problem by Shobhit?

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Install Abode 11 in all pc so that older version file may also opened. that is only the possibilty in PDF.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your responses.

Adobe 10 and 11 have different file paths in Windows to the .exe file. The paths are as follows:

Adobe 11: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Adobe 10: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Also, we cannot force the same Adobe version on all computers since it is a dynamic environment with old/new computers and also different refresh cycles for different departments.

Since we cannot enter both the paths mentioned above into the same whitelist for the PDF application, I guess the only solution is to have different whitelists for users with different versions of the Adobe Reader.

Important thing to keep in mind is that this problem is not just limited to PDF files. There are computers with different Microsoft Office versions as well (2003, 2007 and 2010). This makes it even more challenging to setup the whitelist, since now we have a whole matrix of possible PC configurations.

I would appreciate some further guidance on best practice on this topic.