cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating SAP ERP 6 (ORACLE 10.2.0.4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Morning Community ,

First of all just let me tell you this will be my first ever migration of this kind, so it will be a challenge.

I need to plan ASAP a migration of two ERP 6 (Windows 2003 SP2, ORACLE 10.2.0.4, a development and a production) to new servers in another domain.

What was already discussed and must be done, is that the servers will have Windows 2008 and ORACLE 11g release 2, maintaining the ERP as is.

As you may imagine i have a lot of questions, and i'm asking for you help on this:

1. Can you tell me where's SAP official documentation for this kind of migration?
  2. Is it possible, using SAP tools, to export the current system (ORACE 10.2.0.4) and then, after installing the ERP and ORACLE 11g r2, import it to the new system? Or i need to first install SAP ERP with ORACLE 10.2.0.4 in the target system and only after the import upgrade the database? Again, where can i find documentation on this?
  3. More... If possible to export and import (using SAP Tools) as i ask in question 2 (export ORACLE 10.2.0.4 and import in ORACLE 11g r2) can i use the same export from production to import to the new development in order to have the most recent data? Is this a good way to do it?
  4. The new servers should have new hostnames. Using Export / Import method (if possible the way i'm thinking) is transparent to the change in the new hostnames, or something must be done after?

Well, for now i think those are my initial doubts, can any of you help me on have some guidance on this? (I hope this is the correct forum, if not, please tell me the right one).

Best Regards,
Pedro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185257
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Pedro,

Few monthes ago i have donr the same thing and follows the procedure below.

First of all it is not migration,you are just doing an upgradation of os/db.

So I follows,

1) Shutdown previous dev server.\

2. start sapinst and took the dump of databazse.

3. In the new dev server , install the upgraded database server (say, oracle 11g).

4.Apply latest patches.

5.Using sapinst, import the datafile during installation.

As you arfe not changing the os or db vendor, so it is not migration.

With regards,

sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro

I have answer your question as :

1. Can you tell me where's SAP official documentation for this kind of migration?

Just download SAP System copy guide for your specific SAP release with DB + OS .Also check SAP heterogenious system copy guide ( just for steps) - export/import.

2. Is it possible, using SAP tools, to export the current system (ORACE 10.2.0.4) and then, after installing the ERP and ORACLE 11g r2, import it to the new system? Or i need to first install SAP ERP with ORACLE 10.2.0.4 in the target system and only after the import upgrade the database? Again, where can i find documentation on this?

Yes, you can build your target system with higher release of Oracle (11.x) and you can use R3load ( through SAPINST) for this export/import. Please check with PAM (product avalability matrix) whether Oracle 11G is support with your existing SAP release on not

3. More... If possible to export and import (using SAP Tools) as i ask in question 2 (export ORACLE 10.2.0.4 and import in ORACLE 11g r2) can i use the same export from production to import to the new development in order to have the most recent data? Is this a good way to do it?

Yes possible - as you will change the SID and there will be lost of manual steps involved to adjust the SID.

4. The new servers should have new hostnames. Using Export / Import method (if possible the way i'm thinking) is transparent to the change in the new hostnames, or something must be done after?

If it is ABAB only system you can change the hostname easily or create DNS alias to keep the same hostname ( so that no need to change on RFC coonection and SAPlogon pad).

Well, for now i think those are my initial doubts, can any of you help me on have some guidance on this? (I hope this is the correct forum, if not, please tell me the right one).

Best Regards,
Pedro

Answers (0)