cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L-Language with SAP hana

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

i have been checking the different options to write procedures with sap hana, and i see L language is an option. when i go to wikipedia i see there are several L-languages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_programming_language

can anyone tell me or give a link to the one SAP is using internally?

ciao,

m.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm in HANA training at the moment, and it was mentioned that L is now supported. Has support from SAP now changed?

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No, L is not supported for external use. Not sure what training course you are referring to, but the instructor is incorrect in saying that it is released for use.

Cheers,

Rich Heilman

SAP HANA Product Management

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I heard the same thing, in the context of the AFL SDK.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Well, for AFL SDK that is a bit different and being tightly controlled. General use of L within a stored procedure is not supported for external use.

Cheers,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

The slide said "supported", but perhaps that meant technically, yes, it's supported, but not that SAP will provide support.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Can you please send me an email and we can discuss this offline?  my email is firstname.lastname@sap.com

Thanks,

Rich

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes, I can confirm that the use of the L language in HANA is NOT supported by SAP for customer or partner use.

Cheers,

Rich Heilman

HANA Product Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

Are there any evolutions scheduled for it ? Some partners/customers would like to developp their own algorithms and put them directly into sap hana (not on another machine)

thanks a lot...

0 Kudos

Hi,

Agree with you Rich, we get many times this question from EOM partners and others.

Complex analytics computation (ex some Sybase ( in finance) ASE customers are developping UDF rutines in C or C++) cannot be written in SQLScript (procedural langage) and even the great XE engine with JavaScript will not - pardon me if I am wrong - do what C or C++ can do internally. That's the reasons why SAP create the AFL libraries right?

Thanks
Patrick

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AFAIK, SAP uses L Language for developing the internal functions in AFL libraries, including, but not restricted to, BFL (Business Function Library) and PAL (Predictive Analysis Library).

As Patrick mentioned, I think it's still the case that L is not supported for customer usage.

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if this is still the case but see this previous post regarding L.  According to Lars it is not supported for customers, at least at the time of the previous post in May:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3177528