cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Systems - Critical Path Method Analysis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Logistics Experts/Gurus,

In the Project Builder (t-code CJ20N), the relationships of activities within a network can be viewed through the "Network Graphic" functionality as seen in the screenshot below, which strongly resembles a CPM diagram. 

How is it possible to view the Critical Path within a network (either through the Network Graphic, or any other Project Systems functionality), so that it becomes obvious for a project amanger where efforts should be concentrated to control the project schedule?

Note: Points will be given for helpful & correct answers.

Thanks,

Jason C. Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can see the critical activities in the network graphic chart itself.These activities will be in red colour. Look the graph properly, except activity "electrical construction" all other activities are in red colour.  I would suggest you post your queries in Project System Forum.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

if the total float is zero or negative then the activity is critical. the path formed by these critical activities through Start-start, Finish-finish, Start-Finish or Finish Start Relationship is called critical path. the path is high lightened with red color in  network graphics as well as in Project Planning board

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Apart from what Gokul has said, You can also check critical path in Project planning board, which can be navigated to via CJ20N (Shift+F8).

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amaresh: how do you interpret the project planning board to determine the critical path?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure, but i dont think you will be able to interpret the project planning board to determine the critical path. Checking the floats on the activities and then determining the critical path seems to be the most easiest option to me.

Guess you already know this but still refer the link below for some more clarity,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/c0/1885347860ea35e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After scheduling your project (either in project builder or in project planning board), You can see the Gantt chart in project planning board. All the activities that are highlighted in RED colour in the time line are on critical path. Refer screen shot below to understand better.

Note: To understand the colour coding in the project planning board, click on the "Legend" button

I have another screen shot of the activity 0030 (from the above screen shot), here, which shows float -19 days.

You can use this information, whether your project needs to be modified or re-scheduled.

You can also refer the screen shot in your other thread. I can see there are couple of activities which are on critical path.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I dont think it would be possible for you to view the Critical Path within a network through a network graphic or by some other means. However, you can check the float on the activities and determine if the project schedule needs to be changes or adjusted.

You can view the float in the activities in CJ20N itself in the Dates tab.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gokul