cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

periodic jobs after copy productive client on PRD(100) to a new client PRD(999).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

We are using an ECC system(DEV; QAS andPRD).  We have 2 project in parallel.

For one project we have already transported all development and customizing to PRD.

We would like to simulate going live.

However we can not make a homogeneous system copy PRD->QAS because we are in the middle of testing of the other project on QAS.

Therefore we have idea to copy productive client on PRD(100) to a new client PRD(999). Does this makes sense? I was very concerned about jobs which I supposed are common

I created an periodic job with an program which writes sy-mandt to a file(via dataset). On DEV system then I copied such a client(011) to DEV(999). I realized that after copy still sy-mandt created via job in file is "011"(which tels me that no jobs are active on new client after copy).

If this is thrue I could freely copy productive client on PRD(100) to a new client PRD(999)?(without endager production?)

Thank you a lot in advance

Jan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

>>> Therefore we have idea to copy productive client on PRD(100) to a new client PRD(999). Does this makes sense? I was very concerned about jobs which I supposed are common

I don't recommend to create a test client on productive system. This is because, performing a client independent customization will affect productive client. One more scenario; assume that an ABAP program create a file at the operating system level on the productive host. After that it may be cause no more free space left on the file system. This may lead to stop business operations at the productive.

>>> I created an periodic job with an program which writes sy-mandt to a file(via dataset). On DEV system then I copied such a client(011) to DEV(999). I realized that after copy still sy-mandt created via job in file is "011"(which tels me that no jobs are active on new client after copy).

Sy-Mandt key fields updated after the client copy. What table you exported?

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Great Orkun. Basically that is the answer I was looking for. (So I could suspend jobs/lock users and in inactivity perioc copy client on production).

All consultant I will warn about crossclient customaizing and space on the disk(if I do not get another server and if I am pushed into this)

Welcome any other comments in few days time

Kindest regards

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Orkun

Thank you very much for your time and ideas. I am now aware of sizes of files on filesystem and cross client customizing.(it is more some other situations I am concerned which I would kindly ask for brainstorm).

I was running in a background job with program:

" ...open dataset dset for output in text mode encoding default message mess.

clear text.

concatenate 'Ran from client:' sy-mandt into text.

TRANSFER text TO dset.

close dataset dset."

On DEV system then I copied such a client(011) to client 999 i.e. DEV(999). I realized that after copy still text in file file is "011"(which tels me that no jobs are active on new client after copy). Am I thinking correctly?

Kindest regards

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> I created an periodic job with an program which writes sy-mandt to a file(via dataset). On DEV system then I copied such a client(011) to DEV(999). I realized that after copy still sy-mandt created via job in file is "011"(which tels me that no jobs are active on new client after copy).

You logged in to the client 999 and the system wrote 011 by sy-mandt in the text file? Did I understand correct?

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should schedule and execute the ABAP program on each client. This is because even though the job table is client independent, the scheduled job run on the client that have been created on.