cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMNR - Alphanumeric and numeric in Ext. Number range

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Guru's

I need to create a material with Alphanumeric and pure numeric for a material type.

I have define the number range as alpha numeric and made it as external .The problem is i cant able to create a material with pure numeric - it throws error as  ext, number range need to be alphanumeric.

In  Details :

i need to create materials : 234001678 and 23450A456 -  i have defined the Number range : 20000A000 to 29999Z999

I surfed in number range related post but i didn't got the exact solutions.  Guide me to achieve this number range .

Regards

Anand

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before material numbering 1st design - how your material master will behave to business and why both numbering needed for one material type with material numbering as Alphanumeric and Numeric in Ext. Number range?

Check ,decide and go for Alphanumeric or only  Numeric with Ext. Number range.

For Alphanumeric with Ext. Number range check Function Module

EXIT_SAPLMG02_002 - Customer Exit: External Material Number Assignment.

NOTE:

For alphanumeric number automatically check Function Module

EXIT_SAPLMG02_001 - Customer Exit: Internal Material Number Assignment

Regards,

Biju K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bijay,

Thanks and sorry for the late reply !

Client needs to map the same material code as in legacy system  - in that they have maintained both pure numeric and alpha numeric.

is it possible to achieve  this for same material type ?

Regards

Anandh

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you would create the new materials by IDOC (ALE scenarion between old an new system) then you could have the new material number in the MATMAS IDOC and SAP would post with this number regardsless of number range settings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks - Through normal process we cant achive this ?  sorry i don't have idea about Idoc - it will create materials as MM01 to same material type. here we dont have the link between legasy sytem and SAP . we have to do data migration manually  . 

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kindly check the logic behind this alphanumeric and pure numeric used in "legacy" for the "same" material type?

Need to understand the business requirement once again whether this is going to give any value addition in SAP?

or just for same numbering and it may be the requirement of user who still wants to be the same mindset even after migrating into SAP?

If the earlier system is becoming "legacy" then why still they want to adhere with same numbering in SAP?

they can make use of MARA-BISMT(Old Material Number) for searching and mapping with SAP material master.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks & Sorry for the late reply !

As per note 16236 - even we check or uncheck the External number W/O check -  i cant able to use both numeric and alphabet .

Regards

Anand

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think after unchecking you get a different error message, dont you?

you wrote initially: 234001678 and 23450A456 -  i have defined the Number range : 20000A000 to 29999Z999

234001678 is not within this range 20000A000 to 29999Z999

here you would probably need 200000000 to 29999Z999

pradnyesh_naik
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Friend,

Go to SPRO --> Logistics - General --> Material Master --> Basic Settings --> Define Output Format of Material Numbers in that you DO not set lexicographical indicator and create a Material Template for ALPHA NUMERIC Number range

Regards,

Pradnyesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In OMSL tcode Mterial Number Templaet you enter _____-___ in material No.length how much you maintain templeate disites based that number enter.

MMNR you maintain As per your requirement

its help full u.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera,

If we change the format through OMSL - its not material type specific - its applies for all the materials but i need only for specific material type.

Regards

Anandh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In MMNR create number ranges and assign your particular material type and please check

other vise contact ABAPer

this concept based you approch you ABAPer may be they help you they change program for material type based number range called

help full you.