cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge records automatically using workflow !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Merge records automatically using workflow!!!

• Working with workflow, Can MDM automatically merges two or more similar records by itself?

In the "Match" step of my workflow I have assigned to it a strategy. When I launch the workflow, MDM marks “High” the records which corresponds to others one (according to the strategy).

Can I define somewhere in the workflow a " Merge" step in order to merge automatically the similar records or do I always have to merge the similar records by myself in "Matching Mode" .

Imagine that we are processing thousands of records and a lot of them are duplicated and I want to merge them.

• What is the main concept of MDM in this case? In the Data Manager ,Data administrator / expert has always to check the record one by one in order to merge the similar records. This process can be done automatically?

Thanks a lot Experts ..

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

<b>It can be done.</b>

There is a work around for this, which is complex.

This can be achevied using enrichment controller Concept.

All you need is a additional SAP Web App Server (Java) with MDM Enrichment Service incorporated on it.

Also you need to create a webservice in which you have to invoke the MDM Java API Methods for MergeRecordsCommand

<a href="https://help.sap.com/javadocs/MDM/current/com/sap/mdm/data/commands/MergeRecordsCommand.html">Merge Record API</a>.

How does it work?

The workflow has a additional enrich step which will trigger the enrichment process and this will now invoke the merge record webservice and records will be merged now.

If you need further details get back 4 help,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The MDM Enrichment Framework is not meant for such tasks.

External services and their adapters which are connecting that framework should not connect MDM at all, the only connection should be done by the Enrichment Controller.

Best if you can check how to de-duplicate during MDM import.

Can you specify how your process will automatically determine duplicated records ?

Is it according to "exact-match" rules, or more complex ?

Regards

Orit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

We cannot merge the similar records using workflows in Data Manager. We can only mention the stratergy in the workflow which can automatically match the records. But for merging we have to do it manually.

And this is very logical also. Suppose if there are 2 similar records, we get options of selecting any value for the fields( from any of the 2 records) in merging. Hence the MDM tool cannot take the business decision so as to what should be the values at the field level. I hope i have answered your question.

Please mark with useful points.

Thanks and regards

Nitin jain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We also tried to merge automatically based on Matching/Merging strategy defined in Data Manager, we were able to do auto matching but not auto merging using a workflow or by triggering match/merge manually.

We also do understand that SAP MDM will have auto merging functionality sometime in near future.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SP 5 does have a merge function - but it looks like it only merges the workflow processes and not merge records,

What have you done to enable your scenario of automating the merging process ?

What about a scenario when you want to define a leading record for the merge function / state that other records can be merged however, a specified one should be left alone .

Any suggestions on how this can be done ?

Regards,

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

As per my knowledge we cannot automatically merge records.

While importing records into MDM repository we do matching at that time on the basis on some fields.

At that time the duplicate records can be dealt to some extent.

If you do not want to have those records or want to merge null fields you can do that in import manager itself.

Thanks and Regards,

<b>Sagar Sonje</b>

<b>Mark Helpful Answers</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am very interested in this as well, hopeful that someone could provide input...