cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I copy transport configuration (routes, layers, groups) to new hardware?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our SAP systems are being moved onto new servers.  The new servers will temporarily be on a private network.  How do I copy the transport configuration (routes, layers, groups) to the new servers?  When DEV is migrated, it will come up as the domain controller with the transport configuration.  But how do I answer the questions for SE06 so I don't delete the configuration?

Thanks,

Carol Perkins

SAP ERP 6.0

Oracle 10.0.5

HP-UX 11.23

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The big question here is what then? Once you have moved the transport domain configuration from the old landscape to the new landscape, do they have to co-exist and is there need to merge the two in the future? Anything you do in transport domain X is not visible to transport domain Y, unless configured. If you want the transport domains to become one transport domain Z in the future, it might get tricky. Is there network access between the two landscapes or are they disconnected from each other?

Anyway the short answer to your question is that the configuration is stored in the subdirectory "bin" of your transport directory DIR_TRANS. You will have to safe keep your transport directory and your development history which is in your old development instance.

In order to give better answers, at least I would require detailed information about what has been done, when and how and what will be done, when and how. Order of things matter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli,

We are just moving SAP onto new servers and getting rid of the old servers.

This is the detailed information about what will be done:

(1) (In this order) DEV, QA, and PRD file systems will be copied onto new servers (HP-UX 11.31).  Same hostnames, private network. The two landscapes will disconnected from each other.

(2) Each database will be migrated into the new servers with Oracle 11.31.

(3) /usr/sap/transdev filesystem will be copied onto the new DEV server.

(4) SAP will stay online on old servers until the new servers are ready  (for about one week).

(5) When the new servers are ready,  all pending transports will be released (in old DEV).

(6) Cofiles and data files from those transports will be copied over to the new DEV server.

(7) The vendor will use offline redo files to update the new databases with changes from the old databases (that occurred during that testing week)

(7) SAP will be shut down on old servers - old servers will be sold.

(8) SAP will be brought online on the production network.

We want to keep the current transport configuration, our development history, and workflow configuration.  That's all in our DEV system.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Carol Perkins

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I won't advise further since I would never do what you are planning to do. I'm sure SAP would recommend against it too.

It might just work in case the new landscape is offline until the offline redo log files are restored but I would still not do it that way. In your plan you would have to recopy the entire transport directory, not just the cofiles and data. The transport buffer, it's a file, for one has changed in the old landscape before you are switching over to the new one.

I really hope you are using the SAP supported System Copy to build the new landscape and not any "best of breed" method that your vendor has come up with.