SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between the RTP and the Formula Profile?

0 Kudos

I am new to the configuration of the EDM Module.

I have been able to successfully configure and bill an interval meter using the RTP Billing process.

But am still confused by the difference betweent he RTP interface and the Formula Profile.

I am assuming that the RTP interface is the way that the Interval data gets tot he billing Rates, and are then applied to the Rate steps.

However when configuring the RTP interface, you have to use a Formula.  and the results are passed through to the billing.

What is the difference if I use a formula in a Formula Profile vs. in the RTP profile?

I am assuming that the Formula Profile allows the calculations of data to be performed prior to the billing?

Can I use multiple RTP interfaces in sequence:

ie.. RTP Interface 1 (Result1) -> (Input 1) RTP Interface 2?

In the RTP interface, or the Formula interface, Can you convert the time periods with the standard delivered formulas?? 

ie.. Going from 15 min or 30 min peaks to 1 day peak demand?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

Formula Profile is used in EDM for calculation purposes e.g. For spot prices in the GAS market where you have prices every hour you can store this prices in a profile and use this for calculation of output formula profile. Now the formulas that you use in the RTP Interface same formulas are available to select when you use formula profile.

Regarding your question about building chains of formulas calculations you can do it using formula profile concept. e.g. the result of one formula profile can be an input to another formula profile and the role of the final formula profile can then be used in the RTP interfaces.

Scenario: In one of the projects I have been in we had used formula profile for DST purposes. For billing calculation some of the input data stream had DST impact and hence we configured different time zones and used normal timezone w/o DST for nomal profile and DST impacted timezone for formula profiles. Also when you use formula profile you set up a batch to calculate the values for formula profiel using the EDM calculation workbench. Please refer to help.sap.com for more information on formula profiles and use of EDM calculation workbench for formula profiles.

Regarding answer to your query Yes in your RTP interface you can convert time periods for e.g. 5min to 10 mins or 15 mins to 30 mins. If your profile is having interval length of 15 mins and in the RTP interface you use the interval length as 30 mins during billing correct aggregation is done by the billing engine. However please note that this would only work as long as the interval length between profiles and RTP interface is multiples or even-numbered divisors of each other. i.e. you cannot convert 10 mins to 15 mins.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

Formula Profile is used in EDM for calculation purposes e.g. For spot prices in the GAS market where you have prices every hour you can store this prices in a profile and use this for calculation of output formula profile. Now the formulas that you use in the RTP Interface same formulas are available to select when you use formula profile.

Regarding your question about building chains of formulas calculations you can do it using formula profile concept. e.g. the result of one formula profile can be an input to another formula profile and the role of the final formula profile can then be used in the RTP interfaces.

Scenario: In one of the projects I have been in we had used formula profile for DST purposes. For billing calculation some of the input data stream had DST impact and hence we configured different time zones and used normal timezone w/o DST for nomal profile and DST impacted timezone for formula profiles. Also when you use formula profile you set up a batch to calculate the values for formula profiel using the EDM calculation workbench. Please refer to help.sap.com for more information on formula profiles and use of EDM calculation workbench for formula profiles.

Regarding answer to your query Yes in your RTP interface you can convert time periods for e.g. 5min to 10 mins or 15 mins to 30 mins. If your profile is having interval length of 15 mins and in the RTP interface you use the interval length as 30 mins during billing correct aggregation is done by the billing engine. However please note that this would only work as long as the interval length between profiles and RTP interface is multiples or even-numbered divisors of each other. i.e. you cannot convert 10 mins to 15 mins.

Thanks,

Mayuresh