SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ean with no Check Digit?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All -

I have a retail custmer that has many many legacy articles to migrate to SAP IS-Retail.  The issue lay with the EAN/UPC numbers assigned to the legacy articles.  There  is no logic to define a check digit for these EAN's.  Go forward future EANS will be assigned internally, but for the migration to cater for those article in the stores my thought is to load these numbers as additional EAN's.

I tried creating a new EAN category wiht no check digit algorithm assigned thinking the system would not calulate one.  This seemed to work for a few article likely by chance, when an 'incorrect' number is entered the system gives the erro incorrect check digit.  

Does anyone have a solution for this situation?

Thank you

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses - I found that removing the External Number Range entry from the EAN Categories not being used has done the trick.  No longer are check digits being considered.

Best Regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Are you sure the new EAN category is being used when you enter the EAN that appears to be calculating the check digit? If you leave the category blank e.g. in MM42 then SAP may be determining another category that does have the check digit assigned.

You can always use the alphanumeric option in the EAN category which effectively allows you to assign anything as an EAN (subject to the number ranges) this is useful for migrating legacy numbers to SAP.

cheers

Marcus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

It would seem that your issue lies directly with having the check box named "Au" or

"Indicator: Determine check digit for GTIN automatically"

ticked when you are assigning your GTINs externally. If you are certain that your GTIN Category does not have a Check Digit Algorithim selected than this is the only other item that the system uses for check digit consideration.

Please reply if this helps.

Thank you,

Joseph DeMoya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses - I found that removing the External Number Range entry from the EAN Categories not being used has done the trick.  No longer are check digits being considered.

Best Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am facing a similar issue. I am migrating legacy codes that are alphanumeric but despite creating a new EAN category (with alphanumeric ticked) and an external alphanumeric range SAP still will not allow me to assign a non numeric code!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex