cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of changing old profit center to New Profit center in existing projects

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor

Dear All,

My client want to change profit center with new defined Profit Center. we can change with mass change but what will be the effect of this change on project or any report.

How we can solve this problem in Existing Projects.

Thanks

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

we have created BAPI for this task

replaced profit center in only open documents where no subsequent document posted.

thanks

Sunil

t123455
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil. do you still remember how the problem solved in the end?

former_member1009083
Contributor
0 Kudos
  1. Need to change Profit Center at Project/WBS/Network level. CNMASS TCODE
  2. Need to transfer posting from Old profit Center to New Profit Center.

For your 1st Requirement go to Transaction Code CNMASS, & enter the following:

(a) Database Profile 000000000001[Standard Selection Structure]

(b) Give your Project Definition where you want to change your Profit Center

(c) Then go to Enter field values for mass changes

(d) Click on WBS element, choose  Profit Center as your selection criteria

(e) Then in New Value give the New Profit Center & in Replace Only button give the Old Profit Center & Execute it.

(f) In the same way you need to change Profit Center for Network & Activities

For your 2nd Requirement go to Transaction Code 9KE0 & transfer your Profit Center documents from one profit center to another profit center

Regards

Diptadhi

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Please comment on this bcos i am still confused. if we have commitment cost or we have planned cost via PR, PO or CATS Data so how can we transfer or we have to remove that and recreate all these documents.

please share your experiences.

thanks

SUnil

former_member1009083
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

With regards to Project you have to change Profit Center in the following :

Project Definition

WBS Element

Network

Activity

It will not affect your past data, only all new transactions regarding Project will hit in New Profit Center. Your all Project report will remain the same, only Profit Center Reporting [KE5Z] will be changed

If you are reversing all Old Profit Center related data, then there is no need of any transfer. However if you want to transfer the datas from Old Profit Center to New Profit Center through Transaction Code 9KE0.

After change of Profit Center any project related cost will flow to new Profit Center

Regards

Diptadhi

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need your help regarding profit center replacement (New Profit Center in place of old PC in Existing/Open Projects).

According to me, On change of profit centre from Old to New, project accounting report may not available. There can be discrepancy in reporting as complete project profitability may not obtain there.

Here we are going to remove all the existing PO,PR for that project and remove all CATS data also.

After changing Profit center in Master data like Materials, WBS,etc than we can recreate these documents. So all the projects comes in same status.

For Ex: Project 1 having actual cost 100000 and commitment 150000 so we have to make it 0 for both

Change Profit center in project than recreate all the documents.

If I am wrong than Please guide me right process to achieve this.

Please share your experiences.

thanks

Sunil

former_member1009083
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you change to New Profit Center from Old Profit Center, it will not affect any project accounting. In CJI3 , There will be no issue regarding Project/WBS wise actual Cost.

However you must note that previous all data posted [KE5Z] in Old Profit Center will not go to New Profit Center. You have to transfer the datas from Old Profit Center to New Profit Center through Transaction Code 9KE0.

After change of Profit Center any project related cost will flow to new Profit Center

Regards

Diptadhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check first does it allow you to change the profit center in project. The reason for that is many times we make that field as uneditable.

The impact of change in profit center: No impact on the project however, at profit center reporting level, you need to reference two profit centers instead of one.

1. If you have postings already on old profit center, then let it continue.

2. after changing to new profit center all the new postings would be on new PC instead of old PC.

Now coming to your question, I did not understand that why you want to change PC at material master data etc. Not required and continue as you have now.

3.Why you want to change profit center at material master data. Not at all required. Note that profit center at material master data would always referenced to the plant level. When materials are added to project objects for any kind of postings, the costs will look at PC of WBS and not material master master data PC. 

4. Delete the components and corresponding PRs if not converted to POs from project builder.

After changing the PC, then re-assign the material.

If you have already actual costs in previous months, ask your FI team to repost to new profit center from old profit center. As you said in reports you will see total costs split on two profit centers instead of one PC.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Sudhakar

Message was edited by: Sudhakar Pappu

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diptadhi,

Currently we have all type of cost on projects like: Actual/plan/commitment cost via PR, PO GR etc and CATS data on projects, material issue on project from plant, etc.

So now we have to change Old PC to New PC in all masters like material, any relating like workcenter or cost center, Projects etc.

for this purpose we have to reverse all the data from PRD server and assign new PC to all than only we can reassign all data again.

with regard to projects we have to change PC only in WBS, Network and activities.

what else we have to do in respect to Projects.

thanks

Sunil

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

Please check first does it allow you to change the profit center in project. The reason for that is many times we make that field as uneditable.

yes this is editable

The impact of change in profit center: No impact on the project however, at profit center reporting level, you need to reference two profit centers instead of one.

How can we reference two profit centers in reporting.

2. after changing to new profit center all the new postings would be on new PC instead of old PC.

in mid of year when we change PC, than there will be discrepancy in various reports.

Now coming to your question, I did not understand that why you want to change PC at material master data etc. Not required and continue as you have now.

This is business requirement.

3.Why you want to change profit center at material master data. Not at all required. Note that profit center at material master data would always referenced to the plant level. When materials are added to project objects for any kind of postings, the costs will look at PC of WBS and not material master master data PC. 

Currently materials are also used without projects also like any PO.

4. Delete the components and corresponding PRs if not converted to POs from project builder.

thats ok but what about existing PO with 10 materials and GR done for 5

If you have already actual costs in previous months, ask your FI team to repost to new profit center from old profit center. As you said in reports you will see total costs split on two profit centers instead of one PC.

if we do posting to New PC than what if materials having old one and we process same material again after this.

Please suggest.

thanks

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

• Please see my replies below (indented)

yes this is editable

• Good to know. if not editable you can change using mass change functionality.

How can we reference two profit centers in reporting.

• What I mean in reports you will see two profit centers for example CN41N. If you are going for dynamic selection you have to select two profit centers instead of one PC

in mid of year when we change PC, than there will be discrepancy in various reports.

• I differ with you, there will not be any descrepencies. Can you let me know what do you mean by descrepency?

This is business requirement.

• I assume not required to change. Let others also speak on this one.

Currently materials are also used without projects also like any PO.

• Yes, you can use as you wish. but profit center of project is dynamic and keep changes for every project. So for every project you defined corresponding PC on materials?. I guess no.
  • I am not talking about the Individual/Collective indiactor here

• Generally PC derived based at plant level since material set up based on plant level and these materials are assigned to multiple projects.

thats ok but what about existing PO with 10 materials and GR done for 5

• Amend the PO for Qty and set the complete. Create another PO for balance materials using same PR.

if we do posting to New PC than what if materials having old one and we process same material again after this.

• PC at materials will not come into picture here, only project PC will be driving force.

Regards,

Sudhakar

former_member1009083
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

With regards to project you have to change Profit Center in the following :

Project Definition

WBS Element

Network

Activity

It will not affect your past data, only all new transactions regarding Project will hit in New Profit Center. Your all Project report will remain the same, only Profit Center Reporting [KE5Z] will be changed

Regards

Diptadhi

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

with regard to project only what we need to do for replacing old PC to new PC.

it would be great if you provide steps for doing this task.

according to me now what i understand:

1. Need to change Profit Center at Project/WBS/Network level.

Please guide me.

thanks

Sunil

sunil_yadav2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

according to me now what i understand:

1. Need to change Profit Center at Project/WBS/Network level. CNMASS TCODE

please guide for this. and what about CATS data bcos we have costcenter assigned Profit center also.

it would be great if you provide steps for doing this task.

thanks

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Yes you are right. change profit center on project objects as you mentioned and do the transfer posting.

Regards,

Sudhakar