Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP Receiver Adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an HTTP receiver adapter as follows:

In SM59 I have defined the HTTP Destination.

What I would like is to try and understand is actually how this then works. I have read the help pages and various blogs but if possible I'd like a brief summary of what happens when this adapter is executed.

I am guessing that somehow the XML message being sent is forwarded to the URL defined in SM59 ? The URL in SM59 makes no reference to the XML message or structure. Is it simply an end point at which a stream of XML arrives ?

The reason I am asking is that we have several working examples of HTTP sender adapters but no receiver adapters. Just trying to understand how they operate in case we encounter issues.

Cheers,

PaulC.

<Changed the Discussion subject>

Message was edited by: Prateek Raj Srivastava

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>I am guessing that somehow the XML message being sent is forwarded to the URL defined in SM59 ?

Correct, the "somehow" here is the receiver agreement you created which dictates which channel to use and which in your case has the RFC destination reference.

>> The URL in SM59 makes no reference to the XML message or structure. Is it simply an end point at which a stream of XML arrives ?

Correct again. The SM59 RFC destination as the name suggest is only the endpoint (destination) and has nothing to do with the structure of messages. The channel parameters are configuration time objects and do not check for message structure defined in design time.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prateek.

As an side I have never been completely clear on the difference between an HTTP POST of xml and sending a .xml file via FTP. Wouldn't both end up with an xml file on a destination server ? Is there a difference in what is delivered between an HTTP receiver and an FTP/File receiver ?

BTW this thread should have been called HTTP Receiver Adapter

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, there is a huge difference and the difference is the Protocol. The use of protocol depends largely on the communicating software and company's standards to communicate outside thier network. FTP on SSL (FTPS) is not as secure as SOAP on SSL (HTTPS). Although use of SSH (SFTP) is a secure way, more and more companies are moving towards faster communication option provided by HTTP. While FTP is more to transfer file in some directory, HTTP is usually used more to be consumed by Web Server and displayed on a web page. There are tons of differences which you can find on google if you check FTP Vs HTTP.

Changed the Discussion subject to Receiver.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Answers (0)