cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer a module between systems and change the system name?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to transfer a module I've built from one server to another, my questions are:

1. What will be the best way to do it?

2. The 2nd Server contains a System with the same queries but the system has a different alias. Suppose I don't want to add to the system and the 2nd server the alias from the 1st system, is it possible to change the system in the module queries once it has been compiled and deployed?

Roy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) You can use the export/import features of VC to transfer models.

2) The requirement is not clear. I guess your alias name is different in the second system and you want the imported model to work fine with the current alias in second system.

To change the alias, goto Menu Tools ->Alias manager, select your system and replace it with the new alias. Then compile and deploy it.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Sooraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sooraj, it is what I wanted and it is working alright.

Roy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

ad 1) In addition to the export of a model, you can also use the Portal functionality to export an iView. A VC application and the model are nothing else than an iView.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

In Web Dynpro the iView is just a reference to the application on the server which needs to be deployed separately. I understand the in VC it is embedded inside the iView itself...

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's not completely correct: WD as well as VC is the UI that has its own coding and therefore is an iView. But the heavy business logic is often in another system and accessed through connectors like RFC, web service, JDBC etc.

So it's not "just a reference", you would be surprised to see how much coding a UI needs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mario,

I don't fully agree here.

Web Dynpro is a web application that is being deployed to the app server, the iView is just a "Window" to this application. It's just like I would develop a J2EE application and refer it from an iView, this is why you can even refer to a web dynpro application even from a URL iView...

The VC on the other hand is "compiled" inside the iView itself.

Correct me if I;m wrong here.

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, beats me. But that's basically true for most "iViews" then, they are in their majority just "references" (e.g. BW iViews, SAP GUI references...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's true! in a BW iView for example you just refer to the Query, this is why the iView doesn't need to be recompiled when the query changes, it refers to it on runtime.

The difference in VC is that it is already compiled as a built in iView, like a par file

Message was edited by:

Roy Cohen