cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Definition + XSD format

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need to create an external definition in IR for the file layout which I have. All I have is file layout which contains 25 fields and their field lengths. I do not have any XSD format provided by my external vendor.

1. How do I need to create an external definition?

2. What are all the steps involved in creating external definitions?

3. Do we have any s/w out there which generates XSD format so that I can just save it on my desktop and import that to extenal definitions?

Please suggest me steps in doing the same.

Thanks,

Nani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi NaNi g,

>>>1. How do I need to create an external definition?

as Michal Said "no, you can just create a data type which will be your definition "

but if you want xsd then first create data type from you file and then you find the xsd structure  in XSD tab next to "Type Definition" Tab . from their you can download or export your xsd structure.

>>>2. What are all the steps involved in creating external definitions?

Right Click on external definitions and then new.

Then select categories as XSD.

and then select the file from "import external definition "  which you exported already.

3. Do we have any s/w out there which generates XSD format so that I can just save it on my desktop and import that to extenal definitions?

as i said in above step using data type directly you can create xsd.

Regards,

Gagan

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi nani,

1. How do I need to create an external definition?

Really you dont need any more than text editor, but of course is better to have an XML editor for this purpose as XMLSPY or the Editix-free xml editor. At first i will take some XSDs examples from internet to know better the structure and the differente ways to construct it.

2. What are all the steps involved in creating external definitions?

There are no steps, you only need to know how must be the message strucute to exchange. Finally you design the better and clearer XSD for this purpose. Finally, you will go to PI and you import the xsd file.

There is no necessary, but i advide to use a XML software as Editx-free xml editor, a free tool.

If you want to construct an XSD form a file structure, you should think in the structure and how to convert it in xsd, for example if i will have a root element wich contains all the tags, if you have a header in the file, you can construct a header tag and inside it put all the structures that are in the header file structure. If you have body structure in your file and this can repeat n times, you would need to change the occurrency to unbounded. This could be as complex as you want and your requerimentes will be, take  examples and load with the external tool in order to understand better the XSDS: http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_example.asp  http://www.codeguru.com/java/article.php/c13529/XSD-Tutorial-XML-Schemas-For-Beginners.htm 

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Thank you for your valuable replies. But, I still didn't understand how do I need to create a XSD in order to use it in my external definition in data types section. Appreciate if you guys could post some links which shows a detail steps.

Thanks,

Nani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go through the below post. Your requirement starts from Page 8 of the below link.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50171256-1ee2-2a10-3f84-ddecf098f......

Regards

Veeru

former_member303666
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nani,

Through message type we can download the XSD structure.(it will give the route element of the structure)

Message Type ...> click XSD ...> save it in your desktop.

Based on the structure, create the external definition.

Thanks and regards,

Kesava.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>1. How do I need to create an external definition?

no, you can just create a data type which will be your definition

>>>2. What are all the steps involved in creating external definitions?

there are many tools (also web based) which create XSD from XML - just search on google but you don't need it in my opinion

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk