cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving/Renaming a SolMan 7.1 System

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

The client I'm at right now (a bank) has a highly segregated network and divides their systems up into multiple "Security Zones".  When we originally installed their Solution Manager 7.1 system we carefully explained that this single system would be responsible to manage and monitor ALL of their non-production SAP systems (Production would be covered (because of the security restrictions) by a 2nd SolMan) and they gave us two servers (app and db), two names and IP addresses to install to.

Well, it turns out they have now realized that this system is NOT a Sandbox system (turns out that's where they had it installed!) and now they want to move it to another system located in their QAS/UAT zone.  This would involve changing the IP addresses and the names, and in fact the physical hardware as well.

With all the interconnections to the managed systems (we currently have it hooked into about 10 systems) and the diagnostics agents (about 10 of them, and about 10 more to come very soon on the db servers) I'm trying to think of a "clean" way to do this, but everything I think of, has tonnes of work associated with it.

Does anyone have, or know of, a client that's successfully done (or even, tried) this?  Anybody seen any procedures for doing this?

Any thoughts (including thoughts that I should be thinking of retiring ) ?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

System copy would be my best guess too.

However, you would have to do a lot of the configuration over.

So all the connections have to be generated again, diag agents too.

It will cost you a significant amount of time.

So if you're really close to retirement, try to postpone it for a little while

In that case you can have someone else do your dirty work for you!

Good luck!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks folks.  That's very helpful.  I'm hoping we just go with the brand new copy, but at this point they are still debating.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Murray

If you don't have big scenario implementations, I would recommend you to start clean, take advantage of the "opportunity" and patch to the latest SP level.

Doing a system copy of a Solution Manager isn't something I would recommend. A lot of rework will need to be done and you need to be careful with such a system copy because it's Netweaver + SolMan + BW + CRM what you are copying in the end so you would also need to apply product specific (BW) steps in that system copy.

My vote = go for fresh install.

Best regards

Tom