cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDS Will Not Start Because of Wrong JVM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I made the mistake of specifying a 64 bit jvm for NWDS 7.3 so it will not longer start and I don't see how to change the JVM. I looked in SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini and there was no -vm entry so I tried to add one but so far I have not bee able to change the startup from the problem 64 bit JVM.

How do I get NWDS 7.3 to use a specific JVM if it will not even start?

I have attached the error I get when I start NWDS...slightly marked up because I am not used to the new Windows 7 Snipping Tool.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

small addition to Jun's post:

Example of my SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini file. The very first line looks on my end as follows:

-vm C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin

Notice also, it has to be not only 32 bit, but it has to be a JDK, and not a JRE.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I modified the ini nfile to point to the correct jdk however, when I click on the icon I still get the same error.

FYI. I am running Windows 7...which just got installed.

If I right click on the icon and select run as administrator I get the screen asking me if it is okay for the application to modify things and after I click ok NWDS will come up although I have been asked a couple of time to select the JDK again since the default is a 64 bit jre.

The first time I modified the ini file I put the -vm and the directory on the same line. When I started it as admin and selected the jdk I found that NWDS updated the ini file adding a new -vm line and the same directory on a 2nd line.

Even after the modifications I still have to use run as administrator. I tried it with the -vm both ways and then removed the line where -vm and the directory were on the same line and the same thing happens...I can only run as admin.

I thought maybe it was a file permission problem so I gave everyone full control and that did not fix the problem.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

windows7 should be fine, a related note thisregarding that crosses my mind is:

#1566977 - NWDS on Windows 7

Can you please tell me from where you have downloaded the NWDS?

Please also try this:

1. stop NWDS (ensure in Task manager there are no related processes running)

2. add the following paramters to the ini file:

-clean  (add this to the very beginning of your ini file)

-vm <your 32 bit JDK1.6 as discussed previously >

3. start your NWDS

If it works, then:

- stop NWDS

- remove the -clean parameter from the ini file, so at next start it won't be used.

Let me know if this makes any improvement.

Thank you and Regards,

Ervin

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

-vm

<PATH OF YOUR 32BIT JVM>

add that at the beginning of ini file.