Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically Required Characteristic Entry 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Continuing the thread http://scn.sap.com/thread/1878779

I have some problem with making characteristic 'entry required' according to the values of another characteristic...

I use classification in Addnl Data in DMS document.

I have class ZDOC with char TYPE (values A and B), CHAR1 and CHAR2.

When I set TYPE as A, I need CHAR1 to be 'entry required' and CHAR2 not to be 'entry required'.

When I set TYPE as B, I need CHAR2 to be 'entry required' and CHAR1 not to be 'entry required'.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member,

Create your characterstic CHAR1 & CHAR2 with tick mark in entry required on very first page of characterstic creation transaction.

and write a dependency type precondition with syntax , $SELF.TYPE = 'A' and assign it to characterstic CHAR2.

write another  dependency type precondition with syntax , $SELF.TYPE = 'B' and assign it to characterstic CHAR1.

So now as soon as you will select A or B depend upon this selection only one from CHAR1 or CHAR2 will be visible to user and as this is the mandatory characterstic untill and unless user assign value to it , he/she cant go further with document creation.

Please check out and revert back.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, it works 😃

Question: is there any possibility to hide the information message: 'Required characteristic 'A' was excluded'? I am asking it because I have quite a lot mandatory characteristic...

Thanks a lot.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member,

Not sure , I will check and update you on it. If this information message can be suppressed.

You can also check with a developer.

Thanks

Ritesh

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member,

Seems it will not work this way , as due to restriction of this entry required , system will lock the configuration for being further used.

so change your both characterstics  from Mandatory to non mandatory ( by removing tick mark in entry required ) , and in addition to earlier precondition please attach a selection condition to both of them like.

$SELF.TYPE SPECIFIED

with this the earlier information message will be not appear.

please test it and revert back.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this way the earlier information message doesn't appear, but I don't have possibility to see what characteristic doesn't assign. I see only message  'The assigned values are incomplete' and I can save document without assigning this characteristic =(

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member,

here the problem is may be you havent open the information message details, its being written that " Required characteristic 'CHAR1 required one' was excluded.

and in detail

Message no. C1809

Diagnosis

A characteristic with the Entry required indicator was hidden, because, for example, a precondition is not fulfilled. This means that no value can be assigned to the characteristic. However, the configuration process is not complete until all required characteristics have value assigned to them.

so is it acceptable to you then you can go ahead with first option.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read the information message details.

If I use the first option: tick mark in entry required and write a dependency type precondition - then I can see what characteristic doesn't assign, but  I have so many information message C1809 how much mandatory characteristics I have and all of them excluded by the precondition.

If I use the second option: removing tick mark in entry required and write a dependency type precondition and selection condition - then I don't need to close a lot of times the information message C1809 (because I have a lot of mandatory characteristics which will be excluded by the precondition), but I can't see what characteristic doesn't assign (message C1823 - 'The assigned values are incomplete' - Diagnosis - You have executed a value assignment function. The system found that at least one required characteristic has no value assigned to it).

The first option is more acceptable for me, and I'll ask to developer about possibility to hide the information message C1809.

Thank you very much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh, Will the same syntax work in CV04N also???

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi Billa,

Please open a new thread for asking questions, if you see any resemble to previous thread you can use link to those threads while explaining your issue.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh. Please check the query on a new thread.

Answers (0)