Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM data extraction --Delta extract variant and message type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi frined,

I am new at data extractor.

I know delta extracts only changed/updated data since last time extraction. I need to create a variant based on delta extract method. I was suggested that I need to create a new message type (WE81) if I use delta extract. I understand once I choose delta, I need a change pointer thing to record the last time extraction.  Please help me to understand the linkage between message type and delta extractor. In another word, what does this new message type do with the process of delta extractor... how do they connect together: message type,change pointer and delta extract process.

Thanks in advance for any advice or realted documentation..

Linda

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Linda,

Please refer to section beyond page 128 of this document - http://www.erpdb.info/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/05/ALE-IDoc-Complete-Tutorial.pdf

Message type has to be linked to a custom function module.This custom module should take care of

the delta records extraction using function CHANGE_POINTERS_READ and  building a logic

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Linda,

Can you please let me know if you are trying to extract data using MDM_CLNT_EXTR standard transaction in ECC? Also please let me kknow if you want to extract data in standard idocs like DEBMDM, CREMDM or MATMAS05 etc?

If you need to extract data in standard idocs, then there is no need to create message type through WE81. You can simply enable Change Pointers for the concerned message type and use Delta extraction through MDM_CLNT_EXTR. Please let me know your requirement so that i could answer to your post in better way. Thank you.

Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

Thank you for your reponse.

We are not using SAP standard data extract method. We run the cusomized program of data extractor. The variant to the program can to set as full extrac or delta. When delta is set, it required to trigger the change pointer as a record of diffiernt loads since delta extract only get updated/changed the data. The real hero behind the trigger of change pointer is message type, which was assigned to the table that each vairant use for data extract..

Hope I explained clearly.

Thanks,

Linda

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Linda,

If you are not using the standard T-code, then there are two options for extracting Delta Data:

1. By Extracting Change Documents for concerned Tables and Fields
  2. By Enabling Change Pointers and then Extracting the same

Now in 1st approach, you would need to query CDHDR and CDPOS tables for extracting the changes done on any material(for example) and take Material number from these tables and then Extract full material using simple query and populate the data in your custom idoc and transfer.

Using 2nd approach, you need to ensure that your custom Message type is created as Basic Message type.

• Then only you can add the same in BD52 and maintain the fields in the message type.
  • Then activate the same Message type for Change Pointers in BD50.
  • Again you have to go to BD60 and maintain Function Module for custom message type.
  • Also you would need to create this custom function module(with all the extraction logic) since you are using custom message type as there won't be any existing function module that could be used. But you can take some FM as reference which holds similar functionality.

So in my opinion, it is wiser to use 1st approach as it would be pretty easier.

Reference links for Change Pointers:

Please let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj