cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Adapter - Sender CC - NullPointerException - dirList

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm getting an error in Sender Communication Channel of type File Adapter. I'm using a local directory of the PI server and NFS protocol. We are on windows 2008 server and this folder has full read/right permissions.

I've tried to give the source directory in all possible ways.

\\server\PI-TEST

//server/PI-TEST

E:/PI-TEST

E:\PI-TEST

/PI-TEST

For file name, I gave *.xml.

I've also added this path in AL11 of PI transaction. We are using PI 7.3.

Files copied to this folder are not getting picked up. In Communication Channel Monitoring, I tried to stop and start the CC. I see below error.

Could not process due to error: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to get the length of an array loaded from local variable 'dirList'

I saw similar threads but didn't find a solution.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2145081

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2135254

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1974737

Appreciate any pointers to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Ram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Is the E drive the deafult PI installation path or just a randon one you selected and created a folder under?

Can you try creating a folder under the default PI installation path (i.e. /usr/sap/SID...) and then use the absolute path (e.g. /usr/sap/SID/TEST) in the sender channel & see if it works?

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Trevor. I tried by creating a folder in /usr/sap/SID/TEST and it works fine.

E drive the default PI installation path and E:/PI-TEST folder has full permissions to Everyone and also the SAPServiceSID user. Can't we use any folder outside of /usr/sap with NFS protocol? If we want to use a folder on different windows server, is FTP the only option?

Thanks

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Theoretically I think accessing a different Windows server should also be possible if you map the drive in question on the PI server just like you would mount a directory structure on Unix (and I've seen that work just fine) but I haven't tried the mapped drive scenario. I also thought the full permission (is it full for all users?) on E:/PI-TEST should have worked too...

Maybe SAP Note 821267 (question 38) might be more helpful with reference to the SAPService<SID> user...

Regards, Trevor

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ram,

Did you find the answer to your problem?  ...or does anyone else have an answer?

We are getting the same error.  It looks like our DEV and QA systems are configured the same.  However, our DEV works correctly and our QA system gives us the error ...

File sender adapter interrupted due to error: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to get the length of a null array loaded from local variable "dirList"

I have read through SAP Note 821267, including question 38.  I have listed the SAPService<SID> user for the directory with full control and for the share with full control.

I have set debugging in NWA for com.sap.aii.adapter.file.File2XI but did not get any meaning information.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Former Member
0 Kudos

NEVERMIND.  I found my issue.  My DEV and QA systems looked the same -- literally!  For the MS File Share, I had SAPService<DEV SID> instead of SAPService<QA SID>.  I was not catching the "D" versus "Q" in the name.  Once I made the change, the communication channel started working.