cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table structure changes in source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All, how does the HANA system handle table structure changes in the source system. For example - lets assume that data is being loaded from SAP ECC system into HANA via SLT ( and some views in HANA are using this table) and there is a new field in the table in the source. How does the system take care of this. How can this situation be met without any disruption to the existing views. I know that re-import of metadata funcationality is not a solution because there does not seem to be a way to 'append' new fields to a table ( one will to delete the table to re-import it in the same schema - thereby affecting the views built on it).

How do we handle this if BODS is being used to load data into HANA from ECC. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Please take a look at section 5.1 in this document http://help.sap.com/hana/hana_slt_tom_en.pdf

This explains the steps to be followed when the source table structure changes when SLT replication is already set up for it.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Annoj, that was really helpful. Any idea how BODS handles such changes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Not very knowledgable in Data services but I am thinking you can refresh the source table structure within data services transformations so that it gets the latest structure. However the target table structure within HANA might have to be modified manually I suppose unless you have used BODS to actually create the table in HANA (using table templates) in which case there are options within the table template property to update the table structure in HANA.

I suggest asking this question in the data services SCN forum as regardless of whether HANA is the target there must be a best practice way of dealing with such source table structure changes.

Thanks,

Anooj

Answers (0)