Did you mean: 

OpenDoc Link not Working on iPad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I can't get an OpenDocument link to work from BI Mobile

I'm using BI Platfor BI4.0 SP4 Patch 5

SAP BI Mobile 4.3.3 on an iPad

My OpenDoc link is http://xxxxx:8080/BOE/OpenDocument/opendoc/openDocument.jsp?sIDType=CUID&iDocID=AQH9vdKyHG9Pn2IJe5y....

The target document has one mandatory prompt, and is set to refresh on open.

The data source is BEx via BICS, but the prompt is in the Webi query panel, it isn't coming from a mandatory variable in BW (which I believe can cause problems)

The problem is only occurring when I try to use the link on the iPad, I get the following error after clicking the link:

An internal server error occurred while processing the client request. (MOB00082)

Details:

com.businessobjects.sdk.core.server.CommunicationException: Cannot build the query or generate the report. (WIS30351)

So it looks like it's just 'forgetting' to prompt me and trying to send an empty value in the query to BW.

The link works fine if I open it in Webi. (So I know my OpenDoc syntax is all right)

If I specify the prompt value in the OpenDoc URL it works fine on the iPad, the report runs with that prompt applied. (So I know all the connectivity stuff is fine and this confirms that the syntax is correct.)

If I open the target document directly on the iPad (not via OpenDoc) it works fine. (So I know 'refresh on open' works fine and that the report itself is working.)

So the problem only occurs when I want the user to be prompted to enter a value when calling the target report with an OpenDoc URL.

Things I've tried that don't make a difference:

Putting sRefresh=Y in the OpenDoc link. With and without the target doc being set to refresh on open.

Selecting and de-selecting 'keep last values selected' in the prompt in the target document.

Adding lsSPromptName=? to the URL with and without the prompt being optional (trying to force it to prompt me).

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

can u check a simple thing, just minimize the app once then go back and click the url button, sounds crazy but it was a bug, it worked for us.

Thanks and Regards

Balaganesh, N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

We had opendoc links that worked perfectly on Ipads in SP04.  When upgrading we found that these links no longer worked.

We have raised a Ticket with SAP regarding this issue also and have had the following response: -

I can confirm that this is a bug on SP05 that is going to be fixed in

Patch 6 for SP05 (server side, of course). This is yet to be released

but will be out soon.

I hope this answers the question. 

Cheers,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have come across the same issue. But in BI 4.1 RU3. We have a workaround. Build the opendoc URL using Add Document link wizard. Try passing the parameters to all the prompt values.For those LOVs which are optional or blank, use the following:

choose the option Build formula 

=Userresponse("name")  --- for the name

=Userresponse("name";Index) -- key of prompt

I hope it works.

wish you all the best!

regards,

Joe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

What i see is that any open doc link withing a webi report which opens in ipad, should have that particular report also under the mobile category on the server.

This is mentioned in the 4.3.3 ipad guide

However, any activity outside the SAP ipad app is not under support boundaries.

This behaviour has not been tested by SAP hence can give un predictable results.

Regards,

Atul B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Atul,

As I mentioned, the OpenDoc link works fine if I supply a prompt value, or the target report has no prompts. Also I mentioned that I can launch the report directly in the iPad. So both reports are definitely in the Mobile category.

The issue occurs when clicking the OpenDoc link in the iPad, so the activity is not outside the SAP iPad app, so is supported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I might not have understood it correctly, but this is what i think

if you are opening any link in safari, that would be outside the SAP app for ipad, which wont be supported and might give unpredictable results.

Within the app, if you download a webi report with open doc link and try to open it, does it work?

Regards,

Atul B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul,

Yes, I maybe didn't explain it properly. I have two Webi docs, a source and a target. I have an OpenDoc link in the source pointing to the target report. I'm trying to view both of these reports in the Mobile app. When I click the link (in the source Webi report, in the Mobile app), it fails with the error in the original post. The link works fine if I open the Webi report in launch pad. The link also works fine if the target doc doesn't have mandatory prompts and/or isn't set to 'refresh on open'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

i get it now!!

i see...

listed below are limitations with open doc, does it fit your need

Open Document

Apart from iDocID, sIDType and sDocName, no document identifier parameters are supported in

the OpenDoc URL.

Apart from sReportName, sRefresh, IsM[name] and IsS[name], no input parameters are

supported in the OpenDoc URL.

If an Open Document link has multiple values specified for prompt (using the lsM parameter), the

app considers only the first value while opening the target document.

Session management parameter (token) is not supported.

Output parameters are not supported in the OpenDoc URL.

Limitations

OpenDocument feature is not supported on charts. It is only supported in tables.

Regards,

Atul B

KarstenRUF
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Guys, that's all in the admin guide:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/433_mobiOS_admin_en.pdf

Search for "opendoc"

Please check out the documentation - available on the portal: http://help.sap.com/boall_en

You will find guides for the Blackberry, the Android, and the iOS solutions. The guides for the iOS and Android solutions have "Mobile for iOS/Android" in their title.

Guides for iOS:

• Release Notes
  • Administrator and Report Designer's Guide
  • App Features versus the BI platform Server
  • Compatibility
  • Security Guide
  • User guide

Point releases get a special guide to explain the bug fixes:

• Mobile for iOS - Fixed Issues (4.2.5)

Guides that don't get updated with each release:

• Error Messages Explained

Android:

• Mobile for Android 4.0.6 - User Guide
  • Administrator and Report Designer's Guide (Mobile for
  • iPad 4.1.0 and Android 4.0.6 - combined, because they have roughly the same
  • feature capability)
  • Release Notes

Guides independent of the client:

• Performance and Sizing guide (released for BI 4.0 FP3)
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Atul and Karsten, I'm an avid manual reader (including that list of limitations from the release notes). But nothing in any of them seems to explain my problem. On page 17 of the feature comparison doc it expressly says that 'Refresh on Open' is supported, and the openDoc syntax I'm using is also supported. It seems that the combination doesn't work.

I wonder if anyone out there has come across this and knows a fix or a workaround.

Thanks!