Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of NUC system using SUM (CU&UC)?

markus_taxacher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello together,

I have a Non-Unicode system NW7.01 (ABAP-only) which should be upgraded to NW7.31. I prefer to do this using SUM (Software Update Manager), but as I can see in the documentation this is maybe not supported when doing a combined upgrade.

"If you want to upgrade from a non-Unicode SAP system to a Unicode SAP system, you have to perform a special procedure named “Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU&UC)”. For more information, see SAP Note 928729" (Page 9 in this document)

The guide attached to this note (CUUC700_to_730.zip) is from the 1st of july 2011 and uses SAPup. In addition I can see in PAM a NW 7.31 system as NUC is still supported.

So what would you recommend as preferred way to upgrade the system?

• Do CU&UC using the (maybe outdated) Guide in CUUC700_to_730.zip (from SAP Note 928729) - without using SUM
  • Do CU&UC using the (maybe outdated) Guide in CUUC700_to_730.zip (from SAP Note 928729) - using SUM for upgrade (instead of SAPup - and maybe run into an error)
  • Do the upgrade using SUM to get a NW7.31 NUC - and do the UC-conversion afterwards, somewhere in the future
  • Do the UC-conversion before the upgrade and then upgrade using SUM to get a NW7.31 UC

Thanks and best regards,

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

if the following conditions are met:

1. the upgrade process supports SUM
  2. CU&UC is available for the upgrade (see attachments to SAP note 928729)

- then it is also possible to use SUM within CU&UC.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

That's a good question... I was just asking to myself, having to go through almost the same process (upgrading BW NUC system from 700 to 7.31 - ABAP + JAVA instance).

I think I'll either:

- use SUM with CU&UC

- upgrade with SUM and then perform the UC conversion after upgrade (giving the opportunity to reorg the DB).

CU&UC scenario is useful mainly to reduce downtime and I can easily afford an other downtime for performing Unicode conversion after Upgrade. Further more the DB size is rather small (less that 500Gb)

To me SUM sounds like a SAPup in disguise including some of the Ephi functions.

The SUM documentation (Update Guide - Update of SAP Systems Using Software Update Manager 1.0 SP05) on page 9, 23,109 talks about CU&UC and seem to manage it the same way as SAPup did.

I've already upgrade the ECC system last year with CU&UC, but that time I'll do it the lazy way and will not use Distmon and manage the export/import with the simple system copy option.

I hope these thoughts can help you.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can perform CUUC with SUM. We've completed the CUUC with SUM weeks ago.

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

if the following conditions are met:

1. the upgrade process supports SUM
  2. CU&UC is available for the upgrade (see attachments to SAP note 928729)

- then it is also possible to use SUM within CU&UC.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

markus_taxacher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thank you all for your answers. That helped me in my decision doing it using SUM.

I think I will follow the guide in CUUC700_to_730.zip (from Note 928729) but doing the upgrade process (Step 3) using SUM. After the upgrade is done, I can decide if I want to do the unicode migration (Step 4+) or not.

I have noticed that the unicode migration even in CU&UC scenario is just a "simple" system copy, so that should be not problem (but maybe requires some down-time)

By the way: I found a SAP Note (1589311) that explains where SUM is replacing the old tools.

"May 2012: Media for upgrades to SAP NW 7.30 and higher are replaced by the SUM

The use of the Upgrade Master DVD and the corresponding Fixarchive for upgrades to SAP NetWeaver 7.30 and higher has been abolished. You use for these upgrades the Software Update Manager (SUM) only."

For me there is only one question left: Do I have to use SOLMAN to generate a Stack-XML?

Best regards,

Markus

0 Kudos

I did a similar migration, you can use SUM to perform CU&UC to NW 731.

Check PAM for supporing OS+DB. I have did in Solaris10 + Oracle 11G.

Regards,

Dipam

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also in the similar situation for BW upgrade from 7.0 to 7.31

Source system details:

NW 7.0

MAXDB 7.8

Non-unicode

SEM-BW              600         0018

FINBASIS             600         0018

Target:

NW 7.31

MAXDB 7.9

Unicode

Please suggest what is the best approach in such scenario.

Is CU & UC possible from NW 7.0 to NW 7.31 considering above combination?

Regards,

Sagar

0 Kudos

Hi Sagar,

as you can see in attachments to SAP note 928729, CU&UC option will come up in case of NW 7.0 --> 7.30 only ...

NW 7.31 as target is not included. Hence you need to follow the sequential approach:

1) Standard upgrade according to upgrade documentation

2) Unicode conversion as outlined in attachment of SAP note 1051576 (SCP703_731.zip)

However if you do not have a huge system, it should be possible to do this within one downtime.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

0 Kudos

Thanks Nils,

Actually, I am needing assistance to understand the best practise to achieve this upgrade and unicode conversion. below are 2 appraoches but which should be given preference(minimum downtime)

1) NW 7.0 to NW 7.30 (CU&UC) and then to 7.31 using SUM

2) Upgrade from NW 7.0 to NW 7.31 and then perform the unicode

Also, saw couple of thread in SCN which refers that if we have SEM-BW 600 and FINBASIS 600 in SAP system, then it doesnt allow to upgrade the BW system from NW 7.0 to NW 7.31. Please advise.

Regards,

Sagar

0 Kudos

Hi Sagar,

unfortunately I am not sure about this one ...

If 1) is possible, it would be the better case regarding downtime, but I do not know it ...

In fact I am not sure whether any best practices exist for this specific case ...

Probably you need to split the upgrade - the second step 7.30 --> 7.31 is described in SAP Note 1681435.

Probably you need to test this or get the info from someone who has already done it ...

Best regards,

Nils

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've finished my BW upgrade with SUM 1.06 but I did not get any option to include Unicode conversion steps. It's not an issue I'll perfom the Unicode conversion after.

I've read in SUM 1.05 documentation that it was possible to use CU&UC, maybe that in SUM 1.06 this option is gone...

Can anybody confirm this ?