Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material exchange process for customer

former_member203675
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have to work on a scenario where i have to do customer returns for one finished product. In exchange of return goods i have to provide new finished goods to the same customer. I know that return order type RE should be used for Customer returns and then separate order type OR can be created for replacement part. my question is can we do it in one sales order.

and also want to know what is the best practice for this process in SAP.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should be aware the docum ent category for OR and RE would be different based on which, SAP will validate many data.  Under the circumstances, it is not recommended to club returns into normal sales process.  This is also taking into account the explanation given by Mr.TW

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

In order to drive home my point of "Use two different sales document types", I should have started off with field "Sales document category" ** is different (as this field is most important); and then have enumerated all the other points.

** As has been pointed out by

SAP F1 help for field "SD document category", in sales document type, in transaction code VOV8:

SD document category

A classification for the different types of documents that you can process in the sales and distribution system (for example: quotations, sales orders, deliveries, and invoices).

Use

The document category determines how the system stores and keeps track of document data. It enables the system to provide you with status information about delivery processing, billing, and documents that are used for reference (for example, inquiries and quotations).

G Lakshmipathi,

Thank you for your post!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit ,

In our scenerio what we did is that we created new order type to handle only the exchange process. We created 2 item category. One to handle the good parts (For Goods Issue) and one item category for Bad Parts (For Goods Receipt).

Yes. you can handle this without Sales BoM. But then you have to enter the material twice in 2 line items in which one is for Goods issue and another for goods receipt.

This is on high level. If there is other clients requirement which can be controlled in Item category, please consider it.

Regards

Vinu.N

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

my question is can we do it in one sales order.

and also want to know what is the best practice for this process in SAP.

Why do you want to create a single sales order with

- a line item related to normal sales

- another line item related to returns?

Technically, it might be possible to create both line items (normal sale and return) in the sales order but it is NOT the best practice.

Some advantages with two different sales document types (OR and RE) are as follows:

- Different number range and descriptions - making easy recognition

- Different delivery types - Having only one sales document type, only one delivery type would be possible.

This might cause issues.

- Different incompletion procedure assigned to the sales document types

- Different text procedure assigned to the sales document types

Side note -

1. Please describe the RE process

e.g. do you have RE credit memo?

2. Please describe the replacement material process

former_member203675
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi T W,

I really appreciate  your  ready to help attitude. thank you very much for  that.

Business process is:

1. Customer raise a purchase order and send it across along with some returnable items.

2. Accept the returnable material

3. process the standard sales cycle for customer PO

4.  In case there is not return item is coming  along with customer PO. Charge customer  for  service fees ( DEIN material will be used ) along with invoice of sale item.

having said that, there would be two line items in Sales order any time. 1. standard category TAN with REN. or 2. TAN with Service item category.

There would not be any Credit memo for customer returns. ironically if customer returns are not coming with PO. we have to charge customer with some standard fees. that would be done by putting service item in same sales order.

i hope i am able to make my point clear here.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

Your explanation is clear, thank you!

My comments:

1. RE delivery and then (after some time has elapsed) OR order: Thus the sales order if created with the line item representing the returnable material; the item is already received in the company plant / warehouse before the creation of sales order, line item.

Therefore create a RE order > RE delivery first, to accurately reflect the physical process.

2. Sales order created - PO with returnable material:

In this case create OR with reference to RE order.

By this the tracking and tracing with be clear.

3. Sales order created - PO without returnable material

In this case create OR without reference

In your pricing procedure have a surcharge (service charge), with a requirement (routine) which shall check if the order is created with reference to a RE

- if NOT, then the surcharge would be activated

- if Yes, then the surcharge would not be activated (case2)

Conclusion / Comment: The business process is

- first Return of goods (whenever returns takes place)

- second Sales order

Thus create the same flow in SAP SD too.

i.e. RE order > OR order

Total flow

CASE 2: RE order > RE delivery

OR order with reference to RE order > Dlv > Billing

CASE 3:

OR order without reference > Dlv >Billing

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Differentiation of  the Process is Best Solution for Tracing Data in  SAP. If you club these Two Scenarios (Normal and Returnable Items )in One Sales Order  with Purchase Order,I think not good for you this way.

Actually ,in some cases ,your Purchase Order is 10 Materials/1 Line Item ,for this PO ,your Sales Order is 12 Items/2 Line Items .So here totally doesn't equal with your Sales Order to your PO.

Suggestion : I fully assumption of this way why because your PO with Fresh Items but your Sales Order with already returned Items with Fresh Items for this PO.So be clear when you process this scenario.

Thanks,

Naren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit ,

It is possible. Firstly we have to maintain the Recursive Sales BoM for the Material as a part of Master Data.

Regarding customization, define 2 item category. one for normal outbound and one to return.Maintain the Item category determination is such a way when you enter the material in the sales Order both item category should determine.

With Regards

Vinu

former_member203675
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for instant reply. can we do this scenario without managing sales BOM?. replacement material can be any other material lets say... Return material is f100 and replacement material is f110.

I tried to configure this scenario. I have assigned item category REN and TAN to Order type ZRE ( copied from RE) and tried to run this scenario and i was succesfull  in that.

Please suggest whether i am doing a correct process or not.

in addition of  that i have to assign one more item category to the order  type ZRE for service material. that would be exchange fees.

Please provide you input too.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amit,

Members have suggested to keep separate Sales document type for normal sales and returnable item sales.

Just to theoretically explore the possibility of having both normal sales item and returnable sales item in one order (i.e. have one sales document type):

I tried to configure this scenario. I have assigned item category REN and TAN to Order type ZRE ( copied from RE) and tried to run this scenario and i was succesfull  in that.

What is your delivery type?

Only one delivery type can be had (e.g. either LF or LR or....)

(You could have multiple deliveries but only one delivery type)

As you understand the returnable material has to be "Goods receipt" and the normal sales material has to be Goods issued. Are you able to complete the delivery part of the process?