cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Production as copy of Pre-production client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are planning to take copy of pre-production client and treat them as Production client since there is huge amount of data which we don't want to upload and verify again on production. both theses clients are on different servers. Will there be any technical difficulties in using such production system which is copy of pre-production?

Thanks,

Binita

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Despite previous suggestions, my opinion is that you should install a fresh production system and transport your changes across. Regardless of how tidy your developments can be creating a production system as a copy of another system will always leave undesired data/config behind.

Regards, Juan

0 Kudos

Dear Binita,

As Sunil suggested, you can well use the Pre-production client for configuring your PRD client if its clean and does not contain any test data.

For copying the client you can use either Remote client copy or Client Export/Import.

Further information of the same can be found in the following notes:

1537913 - Client Copy: Local & Remote copies, Client Export/Import and Client deletion

552711 - FAQ: Client copy

489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients

Kind Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rushi, Sunil & Abhishek for replying. I have no confusion about how to take the client copy of pre-production on production server. even the pre-production consists of customer data only. no test data.

My issue is, whether this is good practice or not. Since the transport route is Development - Quality - Production, all the requests in such production client will be shown as un-imported?

Abhishek, you being from SAP can suggest if such systems are valid or not. we have planned a Post-Go live SAP audit through SAP and I do not want to create any mess. Please guide.

Thanks,

Binita

0 Kudos

Dear Binita,

Although there should not be much technical difficulties in it. But please note that its not a good practice and rarely anybody does so.

However, its not very much clear why exactly you want to perform this activity.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>even the pre-production consists of customer data only. no test data.

Good.

>>My issue is, whether this is good practice or not.

This type of requests are case to case and you will not find anywhere documented.

>>Since the transport route is Development - Quality - Production, all the requests in such production client will be shown as un-imported?

Then how you are importing the development/configuration transports to the pre-prod client? Are your transports between pre-prd and DEV/QA in sync?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Binita,

If you can explain in more detail, exactly what kind of activity planing to perform on this client or exact purpose for this activty , then it would be easier to provide some inputs.

Thanks,

Rushi

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>We are planning to take copy of pre-production client and treat them as Production client since there is huge amount of data which we don't want to upload and verify again on production.

Looks like you are in implementation phase and the production system is not yet live. You can copy the pre-prd client to prod but depends how clean your pre-prod system is. If you have a lot of test data then I strongly recommend to load the data again in prod.

>>Will there be any technical difficulties in using such production system which is copy of pre-production?

There are ways to achive this -

- You can perform a client copy from pre-prd to Prod in new client (if you have sufficient freespace in database and at OS)

- System copy from pre-prd to prd and then follow the post system refresh activity.