cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation - How to install vmware on external HDD directly?

0 Kudos

Dear,

I would like to install SAP NWEHP703 Trail version in newly bought external 1TB HDD.

Planned procedures for SAP Installation :

Install VMWare on HDD - then install Windows Server on Vmware HDD - then SAP Installation

Is it possible to install VMWare in HDD directly without installing in own machine?

I want to use same HDD with SAP in different systems/laptops after installation..

Is vmware on HDD is compatible to use in different systems with SAP?

In simple words my requirement is to install SAP in External HDD and use it anywhere in home/office/public computers or laptops.

If you have alternate solutions,please share with me.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Asshok R

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ashok,

Yes, this is quite possible.

Here is one example how I did this.

First of all, you would need the required set of tools and softwares. I used my Laptop with 8GB of RAM to set up all this.

Softwares:

1. VMware Workstation and VMware Player(Host-Guest Configuration)

2. Windows Server OS

3. Oracle DVD

4. SAP Netweaver DVDs

Hardwares:

A laptop/desktop with 2GHz or more CPU with 8GB RAM and DVD ROM.

Steps:

1. Install the Host OS (Windows Server/Wondows 7) on laptop/desktop.

2. Install VMware Workstation on same system.

3. Using Workstation create new Virtual System(guest). But make sure that you create the new Virtual System on the external hard disk.

4. After creating the virtual system, on the virtual system install OS, Database and finally SAP.

Upto this step, you have created a virtual SAP system on your extrenal HDD.

To use this virtual SAP system in a different PC, you will need VMware player. Install VMware Player, in whichever PC you want to use this virtual system. Make sure that the PC must have enough hardware.

Plug in your external HDD to the new PC and start VMware player. Now open your newly created Virtual SAP system using VMware player.

In this way you can use the same SAP system in different systems.

I hope this may help you.

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is quite the proper answer. As said it is easily possible to port the VM itself to any other host. But the vmware software installation should be local. The reason is the admin rights it needs because of a few drivers vmware installs.

Cheers Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

Sorry for replying you lately..

Thanks a lot for your solutions.It worked fine..

I have tried and successfully installed vmware in HDD and using in different machines thru Vmware player.

Now i was supposed to start my SAP NW7.3 Trial installation

I have installed Win 2008 R2 64 Bit in VMware Workstation.

My system has only 2 GB.Can i able to install SAP?Because its requirement is atleast 4GB RAM.

I have pasted the link for your kind reference

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/downloads?rid=/library/uuid/30a6dbb2-a774-2e10-ee83-9f6432973545

And also please tell me if there are anyother prerequisites.Can i use this installation for learning SAP Basis module?Like kernel upgradation,patch updation etc

Regards

Asshok R

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey!!! Asshok,

Good to know you almost did it.

You will be needing more memory in order to setup SAP. So upgrade your laptop with more memory.

Now a days laptop RAM are also gone cheap.

If you cannot afford additional memory, better use 32 bit software. Because 32bit software require less memory compare to 64bit.
http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/library/uuid/80db43c2-9ee5-2d10-de8e-8547de363868

AND always remember

Total Memory = initial OS allocated memory + VMware memory + Allocated memory  for Guest OS by VMware

Where initial OS allocated memory is the memory taken by OS itself.

VMware memory is the memory required to run VMware itself. And

Allocated memory  for Guest OS by VMware is the memory that will use by Guest OS.

According to this formula define your own setup.

Regards,

Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Iagain add my two cents. I agree, 2gb more memory is cheap, even if you have to buy 4gb because you don't have an empty slot.

Can i use this installation for learning SAP Basis module?Like kernel upgradation,patch updation etc

Well it depends, it is certainly a good exercise and you can do quite a lot with the system. But here is a few example restrictions:

- To apply whole support package stacks or upgrade you need a Solution Manager.

- The installation of the test drive version is much simpler than a real installation. Everything is automated and taken care of.

But as i said it is a good starting point and certainly better than nothing.

Cheers Michael

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Asshok,

If you are satisfied with my replies, then please award points.......

Cheers!!!!

Raj