cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiver File Adapter Temporary FileName

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a question w.r.t File creation by the receiver File Adapter in PI.When we are writing a Temporary File instead of directly writing the file, a .tmp file is first used and once the data is completely written the file name is changed to the actual filename scheme in the adapter.

However I could not get any information from help.sap or any blogs if an EXCLUSIVE LOCK will be applied by the file adapter on the .tmp file until the data is written completely.Can any of you confirm if a lock will be applied on the .tmp file and give me a link to the documentation if you have any?

A fast response would be much appreciated.

Thank you...

Regards,

Harish.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kintai,

I suppose that there isn't an exclusive lock during the writing, i suppose this because if you read this Note 959406 - XI / PI File Adapter: Messages Are Written Into Same File,, there is a problem that the different messages end writting in the same temp file, and the SAP patch solution tries to determine the uniqueness of the name file, they could have said the lock option but this is no menttioning in the note. It's only an assumption.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Inaki,

Thanks for the answer.May be I am not clear with my question, we are also following this 'Write and Rename' mechanism of writing a .tmp file first and then renaming it to the actual filename scheme but the users picking up the files from the location where we are placing files do not have an option to pick up files by a particular name and hence picking up all the files which include some .tmp files as well .

It looks like there is no exclusive lock mechanism in the receiver file adapter and hence we have this option of write and rename but I would like to see this statement from SAP or hear it from few PI experts to mark my assumption as a fact.

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say it is wrong approach. Advise end users to pickup files only with specific naming convention. By the by, how end user pickup files?

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Harish,

>>>do not have an option to pick up files by a particular name and hence picking up all the files which include some .tmp files as well

Usually any system should not pick the tmp file. The tmp file is a format for temperory time during the file is created completely

>>>hence we have this option of write and rename

That will be good to go,If the Business system reads the tmp file. Else move the final file to different folder where business system can read it..

Cheers

Agasthuri

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Temporary File option to ensure the file is written completely before it is processed, but not sure an Exclusive Lock will be applied by file adapter.