cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup CCMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

At first i want to say that i have little to non experience when it comes to SAP administration. Actually i'm trying to setup Icinga, a fork of Nagios to monitor our entire infrastructure. SAP should also be integrated and there is a plugin to connect to the SAP CCMS. The plugin works just fine, but it seems no one has ever configured the CCMS and so there is nothing in it. So right now, i'm trying to get into this issue.

After reading a lot of documentation about CCMS i'm still confused and have lots of (probably very basic) questions and i hope someone can help me.

First of all:

If i open "SAP CCMS Monitor Templates --> Entire System" for example, all i get ist "System is not configured".

Shouldn't the "Entire System" tree contain some data right after the installation of sap?

Do i actually need to install an agent for monitoring the local (non remote) system? Do I need this CSMREG user for monitoring the local system? When i read differente howtos i never know, whether these steps are only for monitoring remote systems or not.

I tried to follow the official guide to setup CCMS, but i can't get rid of the feeling that there might be something basically wrong or missing.

If i call tx rz21 and look at the system-overview, there is just nothing. Not a single tab contains an element. No local elements or contexts, nothing.

There must be a solution but I just don't know where to start searching. It would be nice to know, what the basic requirements are, so i have a solid basis to start from.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Regards

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

So here is an update.

You should definitely wait for the right people to come back from holidays

One of the SAP admins came back today and i turned out, that the monitoring worked on another system as i thought.

On that system RZ20 und RZ21 work just as expected (first impression).

I will have a deeper look in that system and will ask, if I get stuck again.

Thank you all for your help.

0 Kudos

Hello Sebastian

Did you connect your Nagios with CCMS?

If you need help with that, let me know

Leandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

Up to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (inclusive), the  CCMS agents are used to transfer monitoring data to the central monitoring system (CEN) and for other monitoring functions. As of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2, all functions of these agents are integrated into the SAP NetWeaver management agents, meaning that CCMS agents no longer exist as standalone executables as of this release.

The functions of the CCMS agents are included in the following programs:

CCMS Agent

SAP NetWeaver Management Agent

SAPCCMSR –j2ee
SAPCCM4X

Instance agent

SAPCCMSR

Host agent

0 Kudos

Hi Nayeen

Thank you for the response.

I'm talking about Nagios with CCMS.

My CEN is working fine but I have some problems between Nagios and CCMS

I can't make work properly the command check_sap_mult_no_thr and check_sap_multiple (multiline on Nagios)

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Leandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sebatian,

could you please check your SAP standard jobs (T-Code SM36->Standardjobs) and verify that the job SAP_COLLECTOR_FOR_PERFMONITOR is running.

This job collects information from the program saposcol on your application server.

You can also select the "Standardeinplanung" and the system will schedule the main jobs automaticly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Regards

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you installed CCMS agent, registered it and agent is running?

If yes then it should be visible in RZ21.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As i said, rz21 is completely empty. Not a single agent showing.

We don't have multiple systems to monitor, only one. Do I have to install and register an agent nevertheless?

I pretty sure that SAPOSCOL is running because i can get OS Information within an other transaction. Is that not enough to also get at least OS information in RZ20?

Which agents would i need to setup for monitoring the local system? SAPCCMSR? SAPCCM4X?

How do i find out if one of these is already running?

Documentation (http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d724f879-0901-0010-219b-af6665b95... p. 24) says SAPCCMSR is needed for systems without an SAP instance. Not the case here. So I onlyneed to setup SAPCCM4X and it should work?

Sorry, but i really don't have an idea where to start.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Sebastian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. You need CCMS agent for RZ20/RZ21 entries. SAPOSCOL sends data to ST06 and not to RZ20.

Please decide which agent should be installed depending your system type as below:

ABAP + JAVA = SAPCCMSR

JAVA ONLY = SAPCCMSR

ABAP ONLY = SAPCCM4X

Please let me know if you need help in installation and registration of CCMS agent.

Regards, Premlesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Premlesh,

thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify: I really DO NEED an agent, even if I only monitor the local instance?  When I read the documentation (http://bit.ly/XXugJY) it seems to me as if the SAPCCM4X agent is just a better alternative to some other way that might be working right away.

2.3 in that document says:

This agent improves the monitoring of ABAP instances with SAP Basis 4.X or higher. The central monitoring system must have a release status of at least SAP Basis 4.6C. This agent provides an alternative connection route to the monitoring information in the shared memory of

an ABAP instance. As this alternative connection method does not require a free work process, the access method is independent of error states of the SAP instance and is therefore more robust.

Systems as of SAP Basis 4.0 have their own CCMS monitoring architecture runtime environment. This means that they have their own monitoring segment in the shared memory area of the running system. After its installation, the SAPCCM4X agent attempts to attach itself to and to work with this monitoring segment in shared memory when it is started......

and so on

I just want to rule out that there is something basically wrong before I try installing the agent.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Sebastian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

I am not sure what exactly you want to achieve. There are lots of tcodes for local system motioning like ST03n, ST04, ST06, sm21, ST22. CCMS agent is used for collecting monitoring data for any system and sending it to solman. CCMS is collecting data in predefined CCMS Monitor Templates in RZ20 and Tcode RZ21 is used for administration of CCMS agent.

Hope this clarifies your concerns. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards, Premlesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i call tx rz21 and look at the system-overview, there is just nothing. Not a single tab contains an element. No local elements or contexts, nothing.

at least local segment should have an entry for self monitoring. which version is your system?

i'm trying to setup Icinga, a fork of Nagios to monitor our entire infrastructure. SAP should also be integrated and there is a plugin to connect to the SAP CCMS. 

I dont know if this Icinga support saphostagent or not, if no then CCMS is your only option as it is the single tool supported by the monitoring tool.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

please try tx RZ20. There you should find a huge collection of default monitors in SAP.

There are no additional installations neccesary.

Regards

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

thanks for your quick answer, bu that's exactly my problem.

If i call rz20 i can see all the predefined monitoring sets, but non of them contains any data. All I get is "System is not configured" (or "System ist nicht konfiguriert" because it's a german installation). I also thought, that these monitors should be working right from the start, but it seems there is something wrong, or something needs to be configured.

When search for "system is not configured" on Google it seems that this is no common error, because there is hardly any relevant result. One is the following: http://scn.sap.com/thread/1794376  but if i look at the instace profile, the mentioned fields are not even existing.

Regards

Sebastian