cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to deal with digital signatures when converting messages?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

this it not (yet) about the actual implementation. It's more of a logical problem that I'm facing.

There are two partners A and B. A is sending an EDIFACT document which is digitally signed to B.

B has a XI instance that is converting all incoming messages into IDocs, in this particular case INVOIC. This IDoc is received by the R/3 system.

All invoices must be archived due to an eventual tax inspection.

In order to fulfill the security requirements all archived data must be digitally signed.

So far so good.

I guess I'm not allowed to sign my invoices with my own private key due to the fact that i could alter the containing data and sign it again.

It's obvious that I cant apply the digital signature from the EDIFACT message to my IDoc because the data has changed and therefore the signature is invalid.

The only solution to this problem, that I can imagine, is to archive EDIFACT alongside IDoc.

Have you experienced a similar problem or do you have any other idea in order to solve this issue?

I hope my problem is well defined.

Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bastian Stratmann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bastian,

it is not possible to separate the signature from the document signed.

The system A generates and EDIFACT message -> A has the responsibility on this message and so A sign it.

XI manipulate the message received from A, that means XI generates a new message. -> XI has the responsibility on it, so if you want a signature this should be generated by XI.

As the IDoc was generated by XI it cannot be signed by A (neither technically nor logically) because A has no responsibility on it.

XI <b>is</b> altering the message so XI is responsible for it.

In this case you have to store both the EDIFACT message and the IDOC and maybe sign this new document (EDIFACT+IDOC) with XI signature .

Kind Regards,

Sergio

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

thanks for your reply.

It pretty much solved my problem.

Regards

Bastian