cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printers with Access card authorisation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We have a requirement wherein the user should print confidential docs from SAP on Xerox printers and use his access card on the printer to get the print out.The issue herein is  ,when I print from SAP , The print goes to printer with userid SAPSERVICESID and user when try to get the print out ,his mail box is emtpy because the used ID is SAPSERVICESID .

Any ideas please how to acheive this?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khaiser,

never did something like this, but is it a possible approach to install a printserver between SAP and printer, and do the spool request conversion to user-specific requests on this printserver?

I suppose the user name who issued the spool request should be hidden somewhere in the header, and could be taken by a printserver script to forward the request with the real user.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter Thanks ,

We already have a print server between SAP and printer .Thats a good idea , let me check If that's possible to do so.Will get back to you.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khaiser,

as this topic got interesting for us too, I researched a bit more. I found out, that the generic term is "FollowMe" Spool concept, and just found a product-specific document explaining some general concepts:

http://www.stethos.com/FollowMe/data/FM2009112001%20(FollowMe%20-%20SAP%20-%20Integration%20Guide%20...

Maybe this puts some more light on the topic - but generally our first thought was not so bad. The extraction of usernames from LPR should be supported by the security software you use, the more interesting part is to create custom device types in SAP where the user id is put into the output request LPR command.

Regards,

Peter