cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Executing DB Recovery from Hana Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are trying to test recovery of the HANA database and are having problems.  Whenever executing the Recovery option we get an error when it reaches the phase "Getting Instance Parameters".  At that point I get the following error message:

'Prepare Recovery Wizard' has encountered a problem.

Instance not reachable: SAPControl request failed.

I can run a backup without issues.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The prerequisite to recover the db from HANA Studio is that the service sapstartsrv is reachable. There's a good chance this is not happening. You can confirm if this is happening by checking the status of that service on the landscape -> services tab (or even overview tab).

If this is yellow, please verify if your machine can resolve the host name as this is the top 1 reason why recovery does not work. You could set that hostname and ip directly on your hosts file as a workaround.

If the service is green then please share the backup and nameserver trace files.

Regards,

Lucas de Oliveira

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was finally able to run the Studio directly from the server (to take networking and hostname resolution out of the equation) and when doing that the sapstartsrv service shows as green.  I am now able to run the Recovery without issue.  Thanks so much for your help, you definitely put me on the right track with your original response.

Thanks again!

-Bret

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey Bret,

One more amendment to my reply:

you can also try the recovery from the hdbsql console (straight SQL). The complete documentation can be found in the SAP HANA Backup and Recovery Guide (section 'Database Recovery and Data Recovery' on SP4 documentation). For instance, if you want to recover the database data files without replaying redo log, syntax would be like

RECOVER DATA ALL USING FILE ('/backup/COMPLETED') CLEAR LOG

I would avoid using the RECOVER SQL directly. Use it only in special cases, where you can't reach the same functionality from Studio.

Regards,

Lucas de Oliveira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas,

Yes, now that you say that I believe you could be correct.  The service is yellow and I've been trying to figure out why for the last few days.  I've noticed now that for some reason the hostname that shows up for all of the services is not the actual hostname assigned to the external IP of the server.

We have a three node IBM HANA cluster.  Each server has three networks.  The first belongs to the hostname/IP that we use to connect to the server (a 10.* address).  The other two network devices have internal 192.* IP's and are used for GPFS and "internal HANA communication" respectively.  The latter has a name assigned to it called "hananode01".  All the services, the name of the instance profile, and the hostname directory for HANA all seem to correspond to this internal "hananode01" name instead of the actual hostname of the server.  I'm not sure if this is correct or not.  But it essentially means I have to be able to resolve both the hostname AND this "hananode01" name (192.* IP).  Doesn't really make sense to me that this is the way it is supposed to work.

I will have the hananode01 name added to my hosts file and see if that resolves the issue.  Will report back as soon as I know.  Thanks for the help so far!

Thanks,

Bret Applegate

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

just as an amendment, after making your changes you can verify the HANA Studio log ( located in

hdbstudio/.metadata/.log) and verify what's the output of the connection.

Regards,

Lucas de Oliveira