cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Activity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have query regarding to SAP Upgrade. I have current system SAP ECC 6.0 with IBM DB2 database installed on Windows 2003 Server. I want to upgrade my Operating System to Windows Server 2008. And SAP to SAP ECC 6.0 EHP6. I have doubt regarding to present data. When I upgrade the system to EHP6 how I can migrate my current business process or my current SAP data including Customization, to new Upgraded system. What are the ways to do this activity please guide me on this topic. Your suggestion are most welcomed.

Thanks in Advance.

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

Could you please explain the situation in detail. your query is not very clear. I would suggest you

to first go through the Upgrade Guides. It will explain the Upgrade Process.

You can download the Upgrade Guides from the

http://service.sap.com/instguides/

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurav,

Thanks for reply. I have to do System Upgrade now current I have installed SAP ECC 6.0 in Production System with DB2 database on Windows Server 2003. I want to upgrade my system to SAP ECC 6.0 EHP6 on Windows Server 2008. So when I upgrade OS to Win Server 2008 what I supposed to do Install SAP ECC6.0 EHP6, then I have new copy of SAP which contain no data of my production server. or if I want to upgrade from my existing ECC 6.0 to ECC 6.0 EHP6 then how it works.

Please consult me. How can my existing live data will apppers

Thank You.

Amit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So when I upgrade OS to Win Server 2008 what I supposed to do Install SAP ECC6.0 EHP6, then I have new copy of SAP which contain no data of my production server. or if I want to upgrade from my existing ECC 6.0 to ECC 6.0 EHP6 then how it works.

You need to take some basic training...  The SAP Upgrade process and the OS Upgrade process are two separate and very different tasks.

Regards, Juan

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

First of all, there are many things you need to know here. OS/DB upgrade is different than the SAP System Upgrade.

From the SAP system upgrade perspective, the upgrade process creates a Shadow System from the

Source system and in the downtime the switch happenes . I believe this is the first time you are trying to upgrade a system. It is not possible to explain everything here in the thread but I will try to guide you

to the documents which will be useful for you. I will request you to please go through the

Upgrade Documents once so that we have a basic understanding of the Upgrade Process. If you have

doubts after that we can discuss the issue further.

First check the PAM (Product Availability Matrix) for the supported OS/DB combination for the target system. If your current OS/DB combination is supported, you are good to go else you might first

need to Upgrade your OS/DB (Its a seperate section than the SAP System Upgrade).

Please download the Upgrade Guides from the SMP and go throught it. It will give you a idea about the shadow system and the system switch upgrade process. Once you have gone through the Guides, you will have the answers to most of your queries (current one + some other also). If you have further queries after you have gone through the documents, please let us know.

So basically the upgrade process takes care of all this. Data, Modifications to the SAP standard objects etc.

Regards,

Gaurav

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

As juan said you are mixing up two things 1. OS Upgrade and 2. SAP Upgrade. Both the things are different. As per my opinion we should not do both OS & SAP upgrade at a single shot. We need limited time span for stabilization.

Still if you want to go through the process read following links.

Note 1494740 - SAP system migration from Windows 2003 to 2008 (R2) 64-bit

ERP 6.0 EHP 6 Upgrade and Update Guides

To upgrade you need SUM tool. I found a good document for using SUM tool at http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-25113

Regards

Mahesh Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

Thanks for your reply. We are planning to do both 1. OS Upgrade & 2. SAP Upgrade. Also we are planning to change physical H/W of servers.

So How it will works? Please tell me.

Thank You,

Amit.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Both System copy and SAP Upgrade procedures are well documented. Please read the Guides before posting any further.

Also,  Read the "Rules of Engagement"

Regards, Juan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When I upgrade the system to EHP6 how I can migrate my current business process or my current SAP data including Customization, to new Upgraded system

Don't get your question.... During the Upgrade your data is "Migrated" as part if the process.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

But I cant understand During Upgrade how can data is Migrated? Please can you tell me in details.

Amit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

During an Upgrade a magic second system called a "Shadow system" is created and your old system data is moved to it

This is very well documented. Read the Upgrade Guide.

Regards, Juan