cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateway migration from central Instance host to DB host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are using SAP BI 7.3,  Database - Oracle 11g.

Our ASCS and Database is installated on Host A ( OS - HP UNIX ), CI is installed on Host B ( OS - LINUX ).

We need to migrate Gateway Service from Host B to Host A.

Please suggest how can we do it, Does it require downtime.

Shivam Mittal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

As per my knowledge, you have to proceed through sapinst. Its better if you get downtime. After installation of gateway on Host A, stop the service on system B.

You just need to configure all connections as per Host A gateway after installation.

Regards,

Ashutosh Shukla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for Your Reply.

I got understanding of process. Just have below queries :

1) Is it possible to have 2 gateway services for a SAP System, So that after installation of Gateway on Host A ,I can allow both gateway services(Host A & Host B) to run.

1) After installation of Gateway on host A, How to stop gateway service on host B because as per my knowledge there is no separate procedure to stop gateway . We have to stop SAP only which will required downtime.

2) Except changing Gateway details in SAP profiles, RFC Destinations and interfaces where else we need to make changes to make our Gateway on Host A working.

Regards,

Shivam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me clarify the issue, below;

The system has the gateway service running on both NodeA and NodeB, separately. So you can test the service is running by the command below;

telnet NodeA 33<xx>

telnet NodeB 33<xx>

On the clustered environments, you should access to the gateway services, by using virtual hostname.  But, as I noted above that you can access to the gateway services, directly by using physical hostname. So, which means that NodeA and NodeB has running gateway services, already. In short, you can allow both gateway services(Host A & Host B) to run.

Secondly, you can't stop the gateway service manually. Please find the possible scenarios, below;

a) If you want to move gateway services NodeA to NodeB and access the service by using virtual hostname, you should install a standalone gateway service with the virtual hostname and change the configurations by the new gateway port number. But I don't recommend this method. Because it requires move administrative overhead and you need to install a new component on the SAP server.

b) Change the RFC connections and 3rd party program configurations to the NodeB physical hostname. After the restart whole SAP instance and move ASCS instance to NodeB by the planned downtime, change physical NodeB hostname to the virtual hostname, again.

I hope that it is clear.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is funny,

because I seem to have a quite different opinion on the "nameing" compared to Orkun 🙂

Well, first of all, we need to exactly get your situation.

In the initial posting, you are talking about an ASCS and a DB on node A and a CI on Node B

... and the whish to move the "gateway service" from Node B to Node A.

Well, this is simply not possible.

The CI will always have an integrated gateway, which you will like to keep, because there might be possible operations that do require a gateway on the CI (like executing OS commands), so you will not touch it at all.

On the other hand, you have the requirement for a gateway on Node A and sind there is only an ASCS and no "real" dialog instance, there is no integrated gateway, so you need a standalone gateway.

You need to install this on node A, but you will for sure keep the integrated gateway on the CI on Node B. There is no way to get rid of it.

Now you need to specify, what you want to do on node A with your gateway.

I (may be wrongly) assumed you wanted to use it for DB13 on a cluster DB.

If this is correct, you need to install a standalone gateway, that is doing a failover the same way as the DB, with the same virtual hostname as the DB, so that you can reach it after switchover with the very same virtual hostname. For such a scenario you MUST specify the virtual name in SM59, otherwise your destination will fail after a switchover.

If you have demand to trigger may be an FTP transfer on the DB host, which is not switching away, you install the standalone gateway with the physical name and address it as such.

And if you have requirement for BOTH ... you install TWO standalone (nice word trap) gateways. One with physical name which is staying to service the FTP (or whatever your job for it is) and one with a virtual name to acompany the DB on its journey to its new home.

Volker

premsukh_bishnoi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please use sapinst to install gateway on your host. Once it is installed you have to stop old gateway on host B and start it on host on A.

I dont think it require a downtime in this case.

Regards, Premsukh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>  Please use sapinst to install gateway on your host. Once it is installed you have to stop old gateway on host B and start it on host on A.

The gateway does not need to be installed, separately. The service is exist on both application servers, already. Just need to change the TCP connection configurations.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the ASCS alone does not have a gateway service, it has only MS and ENQ.

If you have a setup with ASCS and DB on one node and the CI on the second node,

there is no GW on the DB.

If you like i.e. to use DB13, you would require a standalone gateway.

If you want to use the GW for DB13, and the DB is a failover member, I would recomend to

install the GW with the same virtual hostanem as the DB runs and put the /usr/sap/SID/Gnn

filesystem to the resource group of the DB service, because it needs to failover the same way

as the DB.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

Why you need a downtime? Do you mention SAP gateway installation or SAP gateway service (sapgw<xx>)? If it is sap gateway service, both systems has gateway service, already. Just change the 3rd party external program configurations and RFC connections on SM59.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just use the system copy procedure based on DB specific method.

Here, you'll install your CI on the Host A and tell the SAPINST that you're going to do in on an existing DB.

CI installation takes minutes, it will take less than 4 hours for you to install and configure it (use the profile files existing on host B to modify the paramteres of new CI installation on host A)

BR